Elan Plus 2 S130 Five Speed Conversion
We are still working on several areas of the Wiki. Thank you for your patience.
Elan 2 S130 Five Speed Conversion
Supply of five speed gearboxes has until now been very limited and their availability has been restricted to service use only.However, as a result of frequent requests from both the domestic and export market we have now built up a supply of gearboxes which we are offering for conversion. These have been mode up into kits comprising all the components required for the conversion and are offered to you as follows:
|A050F0743S||5- Speed Conversion Kit ( 2)||383.25||20%|
Full fitting instructions are provided with each kit and the time allowed is fourteen hours. If Dealers wish to make use of factory facilities we will offer 15% discount on labour and the full discount on parts but the Dealer must arrange to deliver and collect the car.A five speed conversion can also be carried out on the Elan Sprint, the kit must be specially ordered but the price and the discount will be the same.Sincerely.(signed)R. F. HARRIS General Manager - Parts & Service
ELAN SPRINT/ 2S 130 CONVERSION FROM 4-speed GEARBOX to 5-speed GEARBOX
The following conversion can be carried out on all Elan Sprint & 2S 130 cars.
|Mounting, gearbox||1||D026 A 0002Z||D026 A 0002Z|
|Tunnel top||1||C050 B 0243Z||A036 V 0183Z|
|Bell Housing||1||A050 G 0245Z||A050 F 0245Z|
|Mounting, fulcrum pin||1||A050 F 0285Z||A050 F 0285Z|
|Knob, gearshift lever (5 speed)||1||A050 F 0292B||A050 F 0292B|
|Gearbox assembly||1||A050 F 0731 W||A050 F 0731 W|
|Gaiter, gearshift lever||1||A050 F 6095Z||A050 F 6095Z|
|Gearshift lever||1||A050 F 6094W||A050 F 6094W|
|Centre plate, clutch||1||A907 Q 01 18Z||A907 Q 01 18Z|
|Cover assembly, clutch||1||A074 Q 6009Z||A074 Q 6009Z|
|Bearing, clutch release||1||A074 Q 6011 Z||A074 Q 6011 Z|
|Carrier, release bearing||1||A050 Q 0046Z||A050 Q 0046Z|
|Bearing, clutch spigot||1||A050 Q 0052Z||A050 Q 0052Z|
|Propeller shaft||1||A050 R 0037Z||A036 R 0038Z|
|Manifold, cylinders 1 & 4||1||A050 S 0150Z||A050 S 0150Z|
|Manifold, cylinders 2 & 3||1||A050 S 0151 Z||A050 5 0151 Z|
|Badge, 'S 130/5'||1||A050 U 0109Z||-----------|
|Badge, 'Sprint/5'||------------||A036 U 0077Z|
- Remove engine/gearbox assembly (see Section- ' E' of the Workshop Manual).
- Remove bellhousing and 4-speed gearbox from the engine and discard.
- Remove clutch cover assembly, centre plate and spigot bearing from engine, and discard these parts.
- Fit new spigot bearing to flywheel, clutch centre plate and clutch assembly (see Section 'E' of the Workshop Manual).
- Fit new bell housing and clutch release mechanism to the 5-speed gearbox.
- Fit the 5-speed gearbox/bell housing assembly to the engine.
- Fit new exhaust manifolds to the engine. Note on Exhaust Emission cars, the new manifolds cannot be fitted if the car is stiII to comply with the Exhaust Emission Regulations, therefore on these cars, retain the existing cast manifold, and if necessary bend the exhaust downpipe to clear the new bell housing.
- Remove the existing propeller shaft and discard.
- Fit the new propeller shaft, ensuring that the universal joints are aligned to maintain the balance. This is quite critical and must be adhered to. Do NOT part the propeller shaft at the sliding joint, otherwise the balance could be disturbed.
- Using illustration (Fig.1) as a guide, and the new gearbox mounting bracket as a jig, drill through the chassis to take the captive nuts. Insert the nuts, and bend their locking tabs to secure to chassis.
- Position the engine/S-speed gearbox assembly in the engine compartment, then attach the forward end of the propeller shaft to the flange on the gearbox. Before finally pushing the assembly into its final location, connect the speedometer cable at the gearbox, ensuring that the right-angled drive is positioned to point forwards, obliquely to the left.
- Fit new gearshift lever, using the Special Tool (T000T0032A) to fully tighten . It will be found easier when fitting the gearshift lever, if the circlip (located just above the rubber bellows) is first removed, this action releasing the tension on the threaded protion of the lever, thus ensuring that its threads are NOT crossed. Replace the circlip on completion.
- Fit new tunnel top and gearshift lever gaiter (grommet).
- Fit the new badge. On 2 cars remove the existing 'S130' badge, replacing with the new 'S130/5' badge; on Elan single-tone cars, remove existing 'Sprint' badge and replace with 'Sprint/5' badge; on Elan duo-tone cars, remove an existing 'World Champion' badge and replace with 'Sprint/5' badge.
- With the car standing on its wheels, add 3 pints (3.6 US pints; 1 .7 litres) of an EP. 80 oil through the filler/level plug orifice. Replace filler/level plug on completion (see Fig.2).
- Finally, road test the car and mode any necessary adjustments.