1967 Elan +2 Introduction Brochure
We are still working on several areas of the Wiki. Thank you for your patience.
As long ago as 1964 we decided to add a full 2+2 to our range. We set ourselves the task of ensuring that the car would combine the performance and reliability of the Elan "Coupe" with genuine 2+2 passenger comfort. We gave ourselves time to achieve these objectives and put the car through the most comprehensive testing programme possible. Now I am confident, both as an engineer and as a family man that in the new " LOTUS ELAN+2" we have one of the finest cars available for the discerning motorist who demands safety, performance, styling and comfort in a motor car which reflects his own taste and ideas. At our new factory here in Norfolk we have the capacity to supply that car and provide it with a worldwide service for many many years to come. May I sincerely recommend a LOTUS ELAN+2 test drive at your earliest opportunity.
A. C. B. Chapman BSc Chairman, The Lotus Group of Companies.
DEVELOPING THE ELAN+2
The Lotus ELAN+2 was conceived over three years ago and given a simple, basic design concept by Mr. Chapman: "it must combine the very best features of the Lotus Elan Coupe with reliability and yet be able to carry two adults and two children on a long holiday-in comfort".
We obviously wanted to use the Elan as the basis for our design as the model was already making a very good name for itself as both a safe and very reliable car. The steel backbone chassis had also proved a very useful solution to many of the construction requirements of a rigid sports car. We knew the chassis was strong from our racing and rally experience. We did not just "chop and stretch" the chassis but went right back to the drawing board and test-bench to do a complete recalculation on the backbone theme taking into consideration the extra loadings brought about by wider track, larger wheels and a lengthened wheelbase. When the first test chassis was built we ran it for thousands of miles with a disguised body which looked like a van. At MIRA (Motor Industry Research Association) Test Track we pounded it over cobbles and unmade roads, held it at over 100 mph for hundreds of miles on the outer circuit and used and misused the brakes and transmission to simulate every possible everyday use and abuse.
While the chassis and power train engineering technicians were hard at work perfecting the chassis and running gear we were making a study of the "package requirement" we wanted to retain the now classic Lotus driving position with its easy accommodation for the short or tall driver but we also wanted to make absolutely certain that the two rear seats really would accommodate children. To be certain on this point we did the obvious thing, we covered many hundreds of miles with children in the car. One tester made the sensible report that "of course children don't sit in seats, they stand on them, kneel on them and fight on them." So we have made certain that the whole rear area is right for the antics of children as our design requirement specifically stated that "children should be comfortable".
We wanted to make certain that the body was attractive and at the same time fully aerodynamic. This was achieved by our Styling Department and as so often happens, when it looks right, it is right and wind tunnel tests show the car as having a very efficient drag factor of .3 to give increased top speed with reduced fuel consumption.
Finally we wanted to make certain that the vehicle was safe. Safety to us is two different but important factors. The first is making certain that the car handles and brakes so well that it keeps out of trouble the second is to be sure that everything has been done to insure passenger protection. We are confident that attention to safety in this model has been of the highest order resulting in one of the best handling and impact resistant vehicles on the road today. Now of course development continues as progress never stops.
- One piece moulded body of glass-fibre reinforced plastic with separate steel backbone chassis fitted with pneumatic retractable headlights, wide opening doors to allow ease of entry and electrically operated safety glass windows, 13 gallon fuel tank for long range touring.
- Lotus four cylinder 1558 cc twin-cam engine producing 118 bhp at 6250 rpm, compression ration 9.5:1 Two twin choke 40 DCOE Weber carburettors and Lotus four branch exhaust manifold. 26 mpg overall touring consumption. Top speed: 120 mph, 0-60 in 7.9 sec.
- Lotus-Ford semi close ratio gearbox to 3.7:1 hypoid bevel final drive. Ratios 1st 2.97, 2nd 2.01, 3rd 1.40, Top 1.00.
- Front by wishbones, coil springs and telescopic dampers. Rear independent by coil springs, telescopic dampers and wishbones incorporating Chapman strut.
- Servo assisted Girling 10 in. disc brakes all round giving swept area of 334.0 square inches.
- Wheels and Tyres
- Pressed steel 5 stud wheels of Lotus " knock-off " design with 54 in. rim. 165 - 13 radial-ply tyres.
- Fully carpeted interior, polished mahogany facia with full instrumentation and two-wave push-button radio. Safety belts. Two widely adjustable bucket seats in front and two occasional seats in rear. Lotus "airflow" ventilation with large face level vents. Air horns, windscreen washers and safety glass all round are standard fittings.
- Wheelbase 96 in.
- Overall length 14 ft 1 in.
- Overall width 5 ft 6 in.
- Overall height 3 ft 11 in.
- Front track 54 in.
- Rear track 55 in.
- Turning circle 28 lb.
- Turning circle 28 ft.
- Kerb weight (unladen) 2086 lbs.
YOUR HOLIDAY OR BUSINESS LUGGAGE
The ELAN +2 boot swallows luggage without problems and when the rear seats are not in use there is space to spare. The spare wheel and tools are stowed conveniently away from your luggage and the whole boot interior is carpeted for added protection.
SERVICING YOUR CAR
With your car you receive a comprehensive Owner's Handbook and all the world Lotus dealers have Workshop Manuals, Spare Parts catalogues and a regular Service Information Service from the factory. Spares stocks are held at strategic points in every major country and factory trained mechanics are ready to carry out a minor adjustment or a full service wherever you go.
YOUR COMFORT Mr. Driver
Comfortable form-supporting seats with adjustment to satisfy anyone from 5 ft to 6 ft 6 in. and the longest or shortest legs. Leather covered steering wheel and complete instrumentation. Carpets, walnut facia, radio, heater and demister-everything is included in the comprehensive specification. That is why there is no Extras List for the "Special Equipment" model!
STILL THE ELAN COUPE AND DROPHEAD
FIXED HEAD AND DROPHEAD COUPE MODELS
- Lotus 4-cylinder 1558 c.c. twin overhead camshaft, alloy cylinder head, twin 40DCOE Weber carburettors. Touring Engine producing 105 b.h.p. @ 5,500 r.p.m.
- Rigid Steel backbone construction with sound insulation.
- FRONT SUSPENSION
- Unequal length wishbones, independent, coil spring telescopic shock absorbers.
- REAR SUSPENSION
- Fully independent, by wide based wishbones, coil springs and telescopic shock absorbers.
- Hydraulically operated calipers. 9 1/2 in. diameter discs on front wheels. 10 in. diameter discs on rear, Hand brake operating on rear wheels.
GEARBOX: Four forward speeds and reverse. Synchromesh on all forward ratios. Oil capacity 1 3/4 imp. pint (2 U.S. pints, 0 99 litres).
- FINAL DRIVE
- Chassis mounted hypoid unit, sound insulated. Oil capacity 2 imp. pint. (2.4 U.S. pint 1.13 litres) 3.71 ratio; (3 55:1 optional extra).
- Rack and pinion, with telescopic, collapsible steering column. Optional right or left hand drive, 15 in. diameter dished steering wheel, 2 1/2 turns lock to lock.
- 13 in. diameter special Lotus high speed wide base pressed steel. Four stud fixing. Bright metal hub caps. Or optional extra-Lotus patent knock-on disc wheels.
- 520 x 1 3 (145 x 13).
- Glassfibre reinforced one-piece moulding, Lotus vacuum retractable headlamps, glassfibre impact resistant bumpers, separate luggage compartment of 6 cu. ft., forward opening fully removable bonnet with safety catches, full width facia with comprehensive instrumentation, passenger and drivers seat widely adjustable, heater, demister and power operated windows are standard fitments .
Length 12 ft. 1 in. Width 4 ft. 8 in. Weight from 1,232 lb. Max. height 3 ft. 10 in. Tank capacity 10 imperial gallons.
FIXED HEAD AND DROPHEAD COUPE MODELS
Based on experience gained from the Racing Elan and the Rally prototype this car retains the tractability and comfort of the Touring Models but provides even greater performance and roadholding.
The specification includes the following:-
- 115 b.h.p. high-lift cam version of the Lotus 1558 c.c. twin overhead camshaft unit. Modified carburettors, new chokes and jets, four-branch exhaust.
- Rear axle ratio 355:1 mated to Lotus-Ford semi-close ratio gearbox or alternative ultra-close ratio gearbox and 377 rear axle. Acceleration 0-60 68 secs. Maximum speed 120 m.p.h. (6,750 r.p.m.). Touring fuel consumption 26 m.p.g.
- Standard fitment-servo assisted brakes, Lotus knock-on wheels with chrome trims, revised rear shock absorbers for improved high speed handling, radial ply high speed tyres
- Inertia reel safety belts, carpets, anti-dazzle rear view mirror. Leather covered steering wheel.
- New exterior trim includes chrome strips along the body sides and "Special Equipment" flash. Repeater flasher units are fitted on each side.