S3/S4 Window Motor Upgrade Kit

PostPost by: ae_mike » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:02 pm

I have a window motor upgrade kit for all S3/S4 Elans. This kit uses modern window motors that are smaller, lighter, faster and gentler than the stock Lotus (old GM windshield) motors. The kit consists of all the required hardware to mount the new motors to the stock window frame, no drilling or mechanical modifications required. The motors are from a US Chevy Sonic, both Genuine GM or aftermarket Dorman are available at places like RockAuto.com or your favorite local auto parts store. The cost of the kit is $220 plus shipping. I typically use US Post Priority as the price is good and delivery in the US is typically 2-3 days.

For those not in the USA and having issues finding the motors, I can supply motors as well. Motor cost per the current online pricing plus shipping.

Over 25 kits have been installed since 2021 and no issues have been reported. Installation instructions which include the motor information are attached.
Attachments
Lotus_Elan_Modern_Window_Motor_Installation_Instructions.pdf
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 373 times
Michael Allison
1967 Elan S3 FHC being converted to modern electric drive
ae_mike
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:31 am

I installed these in my S4 and it is very easy to do as Mike says. The Dorman motors are so much smaller and lighter, and much faster than the origionals. My origionals are in great shape, and they will stay that way boxed on the shelf. I highly recomend these with no qualifications.
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ae_mike » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:15 pm

I've updated the instructions to include a screen shot of a properly crimped terminal pin and the part number for the extraction tool to remove the terminal pins from the plastic connector housing in case someone needs to repair or swap pins.

FYI, the part numbers for the motors are in the instructions.
Attachments
Lotus_Elan_Modern_Window_Motor_Installation_Instructions.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 318 times
Michael Allison
ae_mike
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ae_mike » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 pm

bump
Michael Allison
ae_mike
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:29 am

Hello Michael,
I have sent you a PM.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill'sS4 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:04 am

Hi Mike, I am interested in one of your window motor kits. Can you tell me how to order one?
Thanks, Bill
Bill'sS4
New-tral

PostPost by: Bill'sS4 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:55 pm

I also installed the kit, which was easy with Michael's instructions and items included in the kit, and the results are amazing! Highly recommend anyone with an S3/S4 consider installing these upgraded motors using Michael's kit. You, and your passenger will not be disappointed.
Bill'sS4
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:44 am

And, I might add, besides the motor used is much lighter than the OEM, it is much easier
to remove and replace, for whatever reason needed.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:10 pm

Hi all,

I bought one of the window motor kits from Mike but have not installed them as yet. One of the many things on my to do list. Looks like a quality piece of kit.

One question, maybe silly, with the original window motors it was recommended to put a polythene bag around the motor with one corner of the bag cut to drain condensation, and the bag held in place with rubber bands. This was to prevent water ingress and corrosion in the original motors.

https://lotuselan.net/wiki/Door_Window_Motor

Will this "factory modification" be necessary with the upgrade motors?

Thanks
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bill'sS4 » Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:25 am

I did not install the polythene bags on mine but sure sounds like a good idea. I may go back and do the mod. Thanks for including the link of the factory mod.
Bill'sS4
New-tral

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:42 am

skelteanema wrote:...
the bag held in place with rubber bands.

that sounds a bit surprising as rubber bands do oxidize rather quickly and are likely to stop performing their assign function within a few months or years...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:02 am

nmauduit wrote:
skelteanema wrote:...
the bag held in place with rubber bands.

that sounds a bit surprising as rubber bands do oxidize rather quickly and are likely to stop performing their assign function within a few months or years...

I agree, maybe rubber bands in the 1960's were a better quality :D

I would think cable ties would be a better solution.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ae_mike » Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:47 pm

Relative to the plastic bag comments, these modern window motors shouldn't require any additional protection as they are designed to sit inside a door where even with modern cars there is some moisture. Add them if you wish but I don't feel they are required
Michael Allison
ae_mike
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: