1967 Elan DHC S3 SS

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,
This Elan is now sold, Thank you all for your interest.

This 1967 Super Safety S3 6745 and has not been on the road since 2007. Odometer reads 39,869 miles. It's too low for me to work on it for any amount of time before my back is killing. Getting too old for this.

In 2007 the clutch slave went out and dad just parked it. Several years ago he gave it to me and I replaced it. And bought some parts from Dave Bean.

I have new radiator hoses, a couple of new rotoflex, new chrome Lotus letters for the trunk lid as well as S3.

There are many spare parts, starter, distributors, generator etc, and a car cover too.

So, it'll need some TLC to get it on the road again.

I am in Orange County, Southern California.

Paul
Attachments
Elan S3 SS.jpg and
Last edited by PBrown60 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi Paul,

Good luck with your sale, it looks an interesting project for a new owner.

Drifting slightly off target, if you'd be kind enough to oblige, I was intrigued to your reference to the car as a Super Safety, since it is some considerable Unit Nos before the earliest SS we are aware of. I wonder if you would mind letting me know the SS features your car has, please?

I can see the inward facing wheel spinners, early placement of side reflectors and possible SS flank badge. A couple of years ago I wrote an article on the SS Elans for Club Lotus News magazine, a copy of which I attach, which outlines the known features and Unit No range that we are currently aware of.

Please feel free to PM me if you would rather.

Tim
Attachments
2019 Jan The Elan Super Safety.pdf
(974.38 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi Tim,

The first thing I notice in your article is that my chassis number is earlier, 6745. It has a Talbot side mirror on the driver's door. It has Weber carbs. It does have the micro switch on the brakes.
It also has the red lettering on the rocker switches.

I will check on the other things you have mentioned and will get back to you on them.

Thanks

Paul
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bob Smith » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi Paul, would you be willing to sell your car to a UK buyer. An S3 S/E Elan in yellow was the exact car I took my wife of 35 years on our first date and would love to do the same again. Please let me know your thoughts, I would be more than happy to take care of all the arrangements. Best Regards, Bob Smith , Lancashire, England.
Bob Smith
New-tral

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Hi Bob,

As long as it goes to someone that will appreciate it, I would have no problem sell it to you.

Best regards,

Paul Brown
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bob Smith » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi Paul, Thank you so much for coming back to me. Could you possibly send me a contact Phone number to contact you for a chat please?
Bob Smith
New-tral

PostPost by: Bob Smith » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi Paul, if you would prefer,my E Mail address is ; [email protected]
Regards Bob
Bob Smith
New-tral

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:49 am

My Elan is #7279 S3/SS

I'm not surprised there's an earlier chassis number built with Super Safety equipment. The factory at Hethel were likely trying everything they could do to comply with the Fed's regulations at a low cost. The chassis were not assembled in numerical order and were stacked up like cordwood until they were needed.

It would be interesting to find out what the invoice date was ex factory to see if you car was indeed the earliest SS built. BTW, my wife and I are from SoCal, much of our family live in OC.

Best regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob Smith » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Hi Paul, could you please contact me on this E Mail;
[email protected]
Many thanks Bob
Bob Smith
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 pm

am i not seeing a price??
TED