+2 Elan Too Heavy

PostPost by: bs982367 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:35 pm

My intention is to fit a Spyder frame , to fit different seats (racing ones) and to remove the electric windows (to be retrofit by plastic ones).
How much weight could I save like this ?
Any other comment on the matter ?
Many thanks !
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:46 pm

If my +2 wasn't stock ( I don't want to modify an "original") I'd be doing just what you're thinking about. My little S1 with it's simple wiring (2 fuses) was the inspiration. I don't know how much weight you can save, but eliminating electric windows, servos for the brakes!, interior carpeting and rear seats, heater, fans, etc etc, ANYthing and everything you don't need (mine does have a fiberglass rear bumper, wanna trade?) you will lighten the car and make it less complicated. I'd try some kind of friction sliding side windows like the little S1 and S2 models. What about headlights! It doesn't have to look like a race car, only perform like one, right?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:57 pm

dont forget going on a diet, removing the rear seats, parcel shelf, spare, jack, remove the headlight pods and glass over the hole, remove front and rear light clusters and replace the rear ones with single red lamps and glass over the fronts, remove bumpers, remove spots and the pod they sit in and leave hole open (extra cooling), remove centre console, remove dash, remove heater, remove crash pad, replace the last 3 items with a 300mm sq piece of carbon fibre with hole for the rev counter, temp and oil pressure gauges and stick it somewhere near where the gauges used to be, get some magnesium alloy wheels, fit tyres with helium, remove water/screen washer bottle, remove passenger wiper and motor bit, remove entire contents of the boot including shelfand brackets etc, remove headlining, door cards,sun visors, rear panels, remove all chrome strips, badges (except the nose badge unless you buy a very sticky sticker), send the mechanicals to QED and ask them to save you weight there, while you spend a while saving money to pay them for the work, get hiar cut, vented discs, remove the handbrake as it probably doesnt work anyway.....I think thats about it for the moment....but when I remember somemore I'll get back to you......
LOL
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:09 pm

Depends on whats allowed by the racing regs and how many $ and how far from standard to race car you want to take the car. Additional things to think about:

remove all internal and boot trim and sound proofing
alloy wheels and light weight tyres
smaller racing fuel cell
light weight battery
plastic rear window
remove rear seats
light weight clutch and flywheel
small diameter light weight front crank pulley
alloy bell housing, gear box main body, tail extension and diff nose
alloy front hubs
alloy front calipers
light weight alternator
remove bumpers
light weight alloy starter
remove the brake booster
alloy radiator
remove heater and hoses
shorter side exhaust
alloy shockers and titanium springs ( big bucks!)
light weight driver !

A properly prepared lightweight plus 2 with a good motor should be quite a weapon as its handling is ultimately superior to an Elans due to its wider track and longer wheelbase. The mods above should get you down to well under 800 kg with a driver on board and at this weight it should be a competitive car with the right engine and suspension development and driver.

If cost is no problem then I am sure a light weight body shell could also be made to save another 50 to 100 kg! Removing the dash and most of the wiring also will safe a bit of weight. After that start drilling holes in everyting were you can.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:57 pm

Not knowing your personal weight, but if you are a typical American you could shed 20 - 50 Lbs. Good for the car and good you. I have seen too many 250+ Lbs men looking for a way to shave a few ounces from their car when to best place is what they see in the bathroom mirror!
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bs982367 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:35 am

Many thanks for all the replies !
My aim is to keep the car as much as original it is and to be able to refit it as genuine one in case of future sale.
Mine has a very bad frame (cracks, already bent and rusty) and the seats are almost dead.
The other elements mentioned in some replies would not save much weight.

Can anybody tell me which weight can be saved by:
- the fitting of the Spyder frame
- the removal of the seats
- the use of "friction fiberglass windows" and removal of related components (electric motors and so on)

Many thanks !
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nuvolari » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:38 pm

<a href='http://www.340r.net/technical/weight/weight.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.340r.net/technical/weight/weight.htm</a>

This website may give you a few pointers on reducing weight. This chap appears to have spent a fortune on lightening a Lotus 340R! It is quite difficult to find specific weights of various Elan components. Many Caterham 7 owners are totally obsessed with saving even a few grams of weight - have a look at this:-

<a href='http://www.fosworld.plus.com/download/Weight7.xls' target='_blank'>http://www.fosworld.plus.com/download/Weight7.xls</a>

Hope this helps.
nuvolari
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:20 am

I've just put one and one together and after viewing the historic racing thread have a bit more to say. Although heavier, once you get a +2 up to speed, say 50+mph, it's performance is even closer to the small Elans. I honestly doubt that most of us on this web page can drive these cars near their limits, stock or otherwise. (The racers amongst us can justifiably disagree) but most of us never get the opportunity to REALLY press an Elan on public roads. A +2 and a small Elan corner so well that safety for fellow man becomes paramount in everyday driving if driven anywhere near their limits. If you want little Elan straight line times from a +2, modify the engine or follow rgh0's advice on dropping as much weight as possible.
Also just out of curiousity as a 6' 1" 155 pound "typical" American, are you a Yank that could lose more pounds than a Spyder chassis conversion and gut job on your car can save?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: