Merkur box??

PostPost by: nomad » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:50 pm

I've read the archives till my eye's hurt so thought I would just ask the expert's. What is necessary to fit a Merkur
t9 5 speed box? Is it practical? Obviously tail shaft housing change or modification. Different plate at the bellhousing or does one have to change that out? Again adapter plate at the trans to a different bellhousing.

Anyway, I'm just curious since there's one on flea-bay.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Kurt I think the bellhousing pattern is same on UK fords not sure on the Merkur the problem is gear lever position & tail stock I am sure Worzel will be along with a lot more detail for you
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:03 pm

If it is a 4 cyl pinto then the box bolts straight up, on the european sierra which the merkur was developed from the left hand drive also has the starter in the right place, I made a concentric slave adaptor. If you want the stick in the right place you need to cut and weld the extension housing which is not easy because the detents are in the way. I made a flanged hole in the top of the chassis further back and cranked the stick forward which works well. I did mine 20 years ago now and it is all still working well.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I'm not really interested in doing that mod just now so if anyone is interested, have at it!

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Kurt

You've got me on this one- what's a Murkar- is this what the americans call a Sierra?

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Yes, US version of the Sierra - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkur_XR4Ti

Not too common these days...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:59 pm

A local shop 4 miles from me has 5 Merkur's on his lot. All 5 are real nice and no he has zero interest in selling any of the 5 speed cars. He has one with an automatic he's willing to sell, but as you would expect there is no interest. The Merkur had the same engine as the Mustang SVO with slight differences in the charge cooler and , a couple other things, but I'm 100% sure they had different transmissions.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: