Bulkhead Felt S4

PostPost by: smo17003 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:40 pm

Hello All,

Does anyone have a photo of the S4's under dash bulkhead area showing the sound proofing felt in place? Preferably minus the plenum chamber etc.

My car has just come back from the paintshop and I want to get the plenum, pedals, etc. fitted. I have a Sue Miller felt kit but the supplied drawing does not seem to show felt in this area even though there is evidence (old glue and felt) that there should be some.

Cheers

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:49 am

Not sure if this will help. My plenum chamber is still attached. There’s some sound deadening felt attached to the front of the chamber. I removed the felt on the tunnel in front of the chamber. There’s also a bitumen pad between the 2 air vents on the underside of the crash pad.
Attachments
A470A3FF-162E-46CA-B4FA-D15CFC209D72.jpeg and
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:14 am

Thanks for that.
Interesting to also see the amount of foam above the vent hole. Perhaps the bitumen was there as an anti-drum material - who knows?

Cheers

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:35 pm

I installed all of the felt about a month ago, but its buried under carpet now so no bare photos unfortunately. I saved most of the original felt in this area so had to figure out where the puzzle pieces went. This is all for a LHD car. Strangely enough I had neither the bitumen or the felt attached to the rear vertical wall of the plenum as shown above.

There is 1 rectangular pad between the plenum and bulkhead with 2 holes cut in it for the bobbins.

There is a pad under the plenum and heater that matches the shape of the tunnel top and has a corner notch for the plenum drain. I used some thick foam tape around the drain tube to create a reasonable seal.

There are 2 crescent shaped full height pieces that are against the wheelwells and behind the lattice.

There is a double L shaped piece at the front of the LH footwell that extends up the wheelwell (L one) and notched to clear the master cylinders (L two).

There is a L shaped piece at the front of the RH footwell that extends up the wheelwell with a small notch for the heater hose.

There is a rectangular piece on the vertical wall behind the glovebox. This wraps around the side and extends to the wheelwell.

On the drivers side there is a similar piece to the one above but it is only on the wheelwell portion, not the bulkhead.

Behind the glovebox there is a piece glued under the horizontal panel under the carbs.

1.JPG and

2.JPG and

3.JPG and

4.JPG and

5.JPG and
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 pm

Hi Scott,

Thank you, that information is incredibly useful. I did wonder if the crescent pieces were for behind the lattice.

Does the pad under the plenum/heater also have a hole for the lower plenum bobbin or does the upper pad extend down and has a hole? I assume the two pads meet at the base of the verticle bulkhead panel?

Cheers

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:43 pm

Yes, the pads meet at the bottom of the vertical. I assume there is a hole for the bobbin in the tunnel piece, I have a bolt thru it so its threaded into something. Something I need to correct is uncovering the bonnet catch bolts behind the glovebox. I accidentally used a new piece of felt without a window cut in it for them. The green tape in the photo above was there to remind me.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: