Outboard axle shafts -- preventative replacement?

PostPost by: monkeyodeath » Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:12 am

I'm in the process of installing the CV joint kit (from John/Dave Bean) onto my S3.

Turns out that it's been a good idea to tear into things. My rotoflex couplings were cracking pretty comprehensively (and were the older kind without the metal surround strap), the diff axle stubs were very noticeably twisted, and the bearings on at least one side are much in need of replacement.

As I await the hub puller tool to arrive at my house, I'm wondering -- does it make sense to replace the outboard axle shafts preventatively? (This is a street-driven car.)

My plan has been to remove them both and get them magnafluxed at a local shop before proceeding.

Naturally, I'd rather not spend several hundred dollars on replacement shafts -- but if these parts are likely to be in need of replacement given the shape of the rest of the rear axles or are going to be a liability, I'm wondering if it makes sense to skip paying and waiting for the machine shop and to get replacement shafts while they are available.
monkeyodeath
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:27 am

if it was a track used car with sticky tires i would say just replace them. For a road car If crack testing shows no issues then they are probably OK assuming they are showing no bending of the arms or taper wear

cheers
Rohan
Last edited by rgh0 on Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:09 pm

May i suggest you fit a Diff Brace also.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: