Handbrake lever puzzle

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Just unpacked the handbrake lever and cable from one of the many boxes that EOK came in and this is the puzzle.
SNV32529.JPG and

SNV32530.JPG and

I just can't work out what the brackets are that are attached to the lever. This is how I took it out of the box, the brackets were taped in place to ensure (presumedly) that they were orientated correctly. I've tried them against the bulkhead and there are no holes that any in the brackets would line up with. What is going on here? Are these brackets correct and if they are how the %^&**&^ do they fit?
There's also a square collar around the cable that has 2 holes in it, this doesn't line up with anything in the bulkhead either :?
SNV32531.JPG and

There is a cable in the car already so this is an extra. Beginning to think this is not the handbrake for the car.
Can anyone throw any light on my problem.......please :)
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:27 pm

I've just been working on my Handbrake (see recent thread "My handbrake cable is...too short") so I'll have a go at what I think. Before I say anything, you should know that I am building my first Elan and am a Lotus novice. However, I've learned plenty from working on the car, and from the good folk on this forum.

The lever looks like an Elan one, but it could be from a Cortina. However, I believe the Cortina lever doesn't have the central saddle with the coarse threaded bolt. The unit in my car is mounted with this central bolt only, and this goes through the top of the footwell close to the position of the throttle cable. A large washer spreads the load. There is no attached bracket. The bulkhead end simply presses through a grommet and is not bolted to anything.

The warning light switch should project downwards not to the side. I think as yours is fitted it will come into conflict with the pedals. Can the handbrake handle be removed from the tube, rotated 90 degrees and replaced so the switch points down? The bolt down at the bulkhead end is simply a pinch bolt and should be much shorter. It does not have anything attached to it.

The flat plate and rubber gasket you show is like the seal for where the steering column exits the car into the engine bay.

Hope this helps and isn't entirely wrong!
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:40 pm

The lever is correct but the two bracket are not required, at least on my car, an S4 (and they are not mentioned in the parts list). Looking at some of the photo's I took prior to stripping the car the only fitting there is is a bolt. The hole the bolt passes through is located in the pedal box area in the engine bay and beneath the lid securing clip. If I remember correctly the end of the lever just passes through a hole in the bulkhead. I have attached two photos that may be of help.
Attachments
11 Completed.JPG and
Original Engine Bay - Pedal Box Area 2.JPG and
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:57 pm

That looks like the setup in my Plus 2. I don't know the differences to the two seater though.

The rectangular piece over the cable covers a opening behind the pedal box. The larger hole fits around the steering column. The attached parts manual pic shows the orientation of the piece. Note the switch is shown disconnected from the brake handle assembly in the picture; the orientation of your switch is correct for the Plus 2. Interesting it is so different on the two seater.

The two brackets also appear to be in the correct location for the Plus 2. I found orientation of these bits a puzzle as well, and as noted they don't seem to show well in the parts manual. I tried photo's of my Plus 2, but they were not any good. And my car being RHD it is probably just confusing for you.

Your top bracket would attach to the two rearward pedal box bolts through the fiberglass in the Plus 2. The bottom triangular bracket would (I think) attach through two separate holes in the fibreglass on the Plus 2. The second picture of the pedal box I think shows the brackets, although it is pretty confusing with a running change to the Plus 2 pedal box, LHD and RHD, etc.

HTH

Stu
Attachments
Plus 2 Pedal Box from RD Parts.gif and
Drawing from RD Enterprises web site. Parts Manual for Plus 2.
Plus 2 Hand Brake Tree from RD Parts.gif and
Drawing from RD Enterprises web site. Parts Manual for Plus 2.
Last edited by stugilmour on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:14 pm

There you go. It appears to be a Plus 2 handbrake lever.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:23 pm

So it appears to be a +2 handbrake lever, thanks for your help there chaps :) So, can I use this on my S2 by just leaving the brackets off? I notice too that the switch for the brake-on light is on the side of the tube not the bottom :? I assume that won't make any difference? What a terrific resource this forum is when you have a problem :D
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Geoff, this is ringing bells! When I bought The S2, it came with a Plus 2 as well! Both cars were completely apart, but I seem to remember that there was only one handbrake....and the S2 got it.

Pretty sure that they are identical, but as you say, you have to remove the brackets.

I do have other bits and pieces for the handbrake, also sourced from other Plus 2 cars, so any issues, do let me know.

Cheers..Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi Mark, I was just going to pm you to ask, but that answers it nicely, thanks. I'll just take the brackets off. Can't see the switch being 90 degrees out should be an issue :D
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Geoffers71 wrote:Hi Mark, I was just going to pm you to ask, but that answers it nicely, thanks. I'll just take the brackets off. Can't see the switch being 90 degrees out should be an issue :D

Does the S2 ?lan have a handbrake switch?
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Geoff,
If you look at Fasterbyelan's picture, you can see that the handbrake lever has two positions for fitting the HB warning switch.
If yours is the same, just swap positions.
Cheers,
Colin.

Geoffers71 wrote:Hi Mark, I was just going to pm you to ask, but that answers it nicely, thanks. I'll just take the brackets off. Can't see the switch being 90 degrees out should be an issue :D
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Quote "Does the S2 ?lan have a handbrake switch?"

This is a good point. In the manual there isn't a hole for the warning light in the dash diagram and I can't remember whether my first S2 (44 Years ago :shock: ) had one or not. But there IS a hole on my brand new dash where the light would be. I'll have to check my brand new loom to see if there's wiring for a light :mrgreen: Anyone throw any light (pun :D ) on the matter?
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:22 am

According to Brian Buckland's manual, the handbrake warning light was fitted from the beginning of Series 3 production, so an S2 probably shouldn't have one. But if you have a hole in the dash, why not fill it?

As I said earlier, I am a little concerned that the switch projecting sideways could interfere with the brake pedal. I managed to get a photo down in the footwell and you can see that there isn't much space between the handbrake and the brake pedal. On my Sprint the switch faces downwards as you can see.

Mike
Attachments
Sprint handbrake1.jpg and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:44 pm

I've checked out the lever and Colin ( Fatboyoz) is right, there are two positions for the switch on the lever so an easy solve. Regarding whether an S2 should have a warning light; the wiring diagram for the S2 doesn't show a switch. The one for the S3 shows one connected via G and LG wires ( I think - but it's difficult to make out). My new S2 loom doesn't have LGG wires, but it's not yet connected so there may be a surplus Green that may be the one. Anyway I'm sure that can be overcome with my own additional wiring. Next thing is to source a suitable lamp holder, but what am I looking for? What are they like? .....and why, according to the S3 diagram is there just the one wire to it, shouldn't there be an earth return too? Sorry for all the questions :roll:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm glad the switch is sorted out. As for the warning light, it should be like this http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/760/warning-light-with-replaceable-bulb. And I can't see how it could operate without an earth wire. Mine has one.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks Mike for your help :D Guess there must be an earth return as you say, diagram just doesn't show one :roll:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: