A visit to see Ms. Miller

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:48 pm

At Christmas I traveled back to the UK & wanting to uphold my tradition of visiting a significant Lotus location each trip went to see Sue Miller at her workshop in Saxmundham Norfolk.

Sharing a mug of tea & a mince pie with Sue while chatting about her business & Lotii in general was a great treat.

Mick Miller Classic Lotus is essentially Sue, carrying on her husband's part supply & manufacturing business. There's the prior workshop, a trim room, an office & a large area containing all of the parts we all desire. Walking around & looking in the part bins was like discovering treasure.

My favorite finds were the double screw fasteners for the rear divider board, correct right angle connectors for the US headlight vacuum switch & correct basket weave material for my door trims!

Here are a few pictures of the facilities including one of Sue/Mick's old Sprint, still in pristine condition.
BuildingView.JPG and
Outside view

InteriorView.JPG and
Shelves full of wondrous parts

MicksElanSprint.JPG and

If it's difficult to get through to Sue, it's probably because she is busy talking to another customer, picking or packing someone else's parts or making trim panels, she is literally a one person shop!

p.s. I managed to hand carry a rear cabin divider back to the States! :shock:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:54 pm

As we'd say here....

"Susan Miller....Ligind!!" (Legend :) )

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:09 pm

pharriso wrote:
p.s. I managed to hand carry a rear cabin divider back to the States! :shock:

Glad I wasn't next to you on the plane! I can't imagine...
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprinter55 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Totally agree - a great experience to visit a wonderful lady who was just as friendly when I arrived unannounced last year.
Well worth the treat to visit this part of the country & explore 'LOTUS' !!

Happy New Year to all
Terry
sprinter55
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 pm

My mate Don Hands works at Sue's 2 or 3 days a week as required. It amuses me that an ex Classic Team Lotus works driver does the chores and makes the tea a bit like Granville in "Open All Hours"!

A really nice place to visit and Sue always makes you welcome, but I always feel as though Arkwright has got the better of me once again, especially when I leave with a boot full of spare parts and an empty wallet!

PS; American non Ex Pat's may not be aware of "Open All Hours" which is a well loved UK comedy series starring the late Ronnie Barker (Arkwright) and very much alive David Jason (Granville).
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:37 am

Phil,

Shame on you! Visiting Susan Millers and not telling us or worse yet not taking our list of parts needs with you!

Next time, contact me before you go so I can give you my wish list!

BTW, Great meeting you at Lime Rock. Look forward to seeing you again soon!

FF
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear