Sequential gearbox

PostPost by: gino1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for all of your very interesting comments and after having read and looked into some of them I'm very interested in the Elite box and to hear from Steve Broad what is actually needed to do this transformation.
I can see from the photo that the bell housing probably needs chopping off and re-welding at some stage to fit in the available space but which one is used and what ratios has he fitted ?
Thanks again for all your help. :)
Gino
Milano
Italy
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:43 pm

gino1 wrote:Thanks for all of your very interesting comments and after having read and looked into some of them I'm very interested in the Elite box and to hear from Steve Broad what is actually needed to do this transformation.

Gino,
Have you tried sending Steve a PM with your questions ?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:29 pm

George,

I have one of these Elite gearboxes I was planning to install in my past race car. Stopped racing and the brand new unit is sitting on the shelf. The nice thing about these transmission is the input shaft can be configured to any length/spline/spigot bearing quite easily, as they are removable without disassembling the entire transmission. Plus the unit is quite compact, and the shifter can be placed where you want it. Mine is configured for the H pattern. Willing to part with it at a reduced price vs. list.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks Roger I'll try to contact Steve on a pm...

Rob, as soon as I have info on the bell housing and ratios I need I'll be back in touch to sort something out, that is , unless you sell it before :roll:

Thanks
Gino
Milano
Italy
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 pm

msd1107 wrote:You can change gear in any manual transmission without using the clutch, I have done it many times in my Elan when the clutch slave cylinder fails. (My mechanic was 30 miles away through mainly LA city streets.)

Clutchless gear changing on a synchromesh gearbox can be quite slow in order to preserve the synchros. It can be lightning fast on a dog gearbox, since only a slight decrease in power is necessary in order to pull the dogs out of engagement of one gear and the rotational speed difference guides the dogs into engagement in the next gear.

However, dog clutch engagement usually is noisy and jerky on a street car, not so much on a motorcycle. So if you are thinking of going with a sequential dog box for the street, try to drive a car so equipped in a street equivalent mode, even if it is on a track.

F1 paddle shift gearboxes shift under sophisticated CPU control for seamless shifting.

David
1968 36/7988

Many years ago (and I do mean many!!) FF1600 drivers regularly shifted their Hewland 4-speeds without using the clutch. I never quite had the nerve as I was racing on a very limited budget!! For all I know that may still be the method used. As stated above, the dog ring can disengage as soon as there is no net torque across it as the teeth are tapered being wider at the ends and narrower at the base. In that way they just need a slight engagement and the rampeffect pulls them together.

A synchro box is easy but yes, it is slower as you need to wait until the rotational speeds are matched before you can engage or disengage gears. I think I've done it on every manual gearbox car I've ever owned! 8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi Gino

I have tried replying to your PM but you seem to have a block on receiving meassages!

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:14 pm

Compiling this with the gearbox wiki
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: