+2S 130 - Windscreen mount

PostPost by: hastu » Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:42 pm

I know, there are many threads about this problem, but i didnt found the right answer yet.

I'm about to fit the Windscreen on my +2S 130. I have a bonded rubber and the 3-piece chrome plated trims.
Where is the rubber for the windshield attached at the bottom above the dashboard? At the top and on the sides, the rubber is simply slipped over the edge of the bodywork, but at the bottom of the A-pillar and above the dashboard there is no edge. does the rubber just lie on top?
Attachments
K1600_IMG_8337.JPG and
Rubber Front
K1600_IMG_8338.JPG and
Frontscreen
Hanspeter
Elan +2 S130 1971 Pistachio Lime Green
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:46 pm

Hmm...That is the problem, the +2 S130 has no upstand to take a rubber.That is why on the S130 the glass windscreen is just straight bonded in to the aperture.
As standard a rubber is not used at all when bonding a windscreen in on a +2S130 because of this lack of an appropriate upstand along the bottom of the aperture to take a rubber seal. Without the upstand I can't see how the rubber seal you have purchased will work!

I have heard of Spyder when doing rebuilds creating an upstand to take a rubber but that would be no easy job.

However, having said all the above I have heard of some people using a Ford Transit rubber seal and bonding that in first prior to fitting the screen but then in that case no trims at all are fitted due to that rubber not taking the trim.

So, and because I will need to change my screen at some point, would be very interested to know more please on where you obtained that rubber from?... and what information you have as to its suitablity to do what you want it to do on a +2S130?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hastu » Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:30 pm

Hi Alan

Thank you for your response. i buyed the Windscreen Rubber at Kelvedon Lotus. You will find it with
Nr X050B6156Z. but I don't know if that will work at all
Hanspeter
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hastu » Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:33 pm

you find exact this Nr on the service Parts List under BA.14. This seems to be the right combination wit the chrome trim
Hanspeter
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:55 pm

Hi Hanspeter,
Yes I have talked to Kelvedon on the phone in the past about this windscreen rubber that they have on their website but they didn't really didn't know or couldn't tell me, contrary to their website, which model it was for.
Personally I think they have had it in stock from the days when Pat Thomas owned Kelvedon who perhaps were he still around at Kelvedon would have been able to tell us more.

As I understand it the +2S, and not the +2S130, which originally had the stainless steel trims ( 1970 model) does have an upstand along the bottom of the aperture like the early+2's and can take a rubber even though the 'S' was originally bonded in, at the time of manufacture without rubber. This is the model +2, the 'S', which I believe Kelvedon are offering this rubber for. Shame they can't give more/better information.

The +2S130 had the chrome/plastic surround trim as originally supplied by Lotus and has no upstand on the body.
So yes it seems that rubber will work with the chrome trim when used on the earlier cars which have the upstand. However personally I cannot for the life of me see how you can use that rubber on your later bodied S130, to hold your windscreen in.

Please keep us posted how it goes...very interesting..

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:22 pm

Unbelievable ! 54 years on and still no definitive solution, product & supplier :(

At the end of days, there will be the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle, who killed JFK and how to best replace a Lotus Elan Plus 2 S130 windscreen...Hoping mine doesn't cra k or chip..

Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:08 pm

TonyA wrote:Unbelievable ! 54 years on and still no definitive solution, product & supplier :(

At the end of days, there will be the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle, who killed JFK and how to best replace a Lotus Elan Plus 2 S130 windscreen...Hoping mine doesn't cra k or chip..

Tony

Well not quite true to say there is not a solution.There is a solution, the solution is to bond it in as it was originally.
The problem is that we don't like the present solution!...lol
It is total pig to do and the chances of getting a successful and pleasing finish to the bending/shaping of the plastic trim of the +2 S130 is not that great, that is the problem.The actual bonding in of the windscreen is not that difficult.
What we need is an alternative trim. A trim that will bend/shape better than what is currently being offered.

It is a problem...

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:29 pm

Is this mythical chromed plastic trim that's so difficult to bend without kinking even available..? My S130 has " wheel silver" painted plastic trim around the front windscreen - vaguely matching the silver flake roof; it has the alloy lower corner pieces. Perhaps the chrome finish had deteriorated and painting it silver was the next best thing..Anyone else have this..?

How does the plastic trim attach to the screen..? Is there a slot or just bonded to the glass with sealant..?

Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:34 am

Yes the plastic chrome is available. all the usual suppliers sell it. Sue Miller, CTL, SJS etc at around £150 for a length.
The problem is it comes as a straight strip which has to be shaped.bent for the corners and then fitted/bonded to the glass windscreen prior to the whole assembly being bonded in to the aperture.
I have yet to see a +2S130 that hasn't got crinkled corners where it has been shaped. The plastic/chrome trim is basically rubbish.

If you are lucky enough to have the Stainless trim, that was only fitted for a short time and now unobtainable, then you should be good to go. However Hanspeter's problem is that he is trying to use this with a rubber seal and I can't see how how this will work because his body aperture doesn't have the upstand to affix the rubber seal to. It is a mismatch to my way of thinking. As I see it, it just needs bonding in as you would do with the plastic/chrome trim.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hastu » Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:03 am

Wow, so many answers. Unfortunately, this is not good news for me. The Chrome trim would certainly be the nicest solution, but my body lacks the upstand. As the bodywork has already been repainted, I probably can't simply retrofit it. So I'll have to go for the bonded version, which unfortunately won't look as nice.
If anyone has a picture of the upstand, I would be very grateful, then at least I would know what I am missing.
Many thanks for all your support.
Hanspeter
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: