Engine, box and diff options?

PostPost by: Joncyclet » Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:53 am

Hello folks, im a newbie here and have just collected a lovely (well lovely project) +2. It’s my first Lotus so very much looking forward to a slowish burn project and trying to avoid the standard acronym!
I’m guessing this question has been asked many times but I couldn’t find that much and some of the posts were a bit old so wondering if much has changed?
I’d love a Lotus engine but also looking for price/reliability/cost of running/ease of use balance.
I’m happy to make and modify stuff over being original.
My car currently has no engine box or diff and the crossmember has been modified previously for a Zetec. I’ve seen various Spyder info on th engine side.
IMG_1950.jpeg and
So there’s at least an obvious answer on the engine but interested in gearbox (mt75?) and diff options.
Equally I have a mk2 MX5 that I have some history with so the idea of using parts is attractive including the parts mentioned but plus some others (seats, electrics).
My car currently has no brakes so options on those also interested to hear on.
Last question (for now!) is wondering about any upcoming events in late October/November time as I’d love to come and see some cars in the flesh.
I’ll add pictures if I can work out how to do that.
Lots of questions and appreciation in advance
Jon
Joncyclet
New-tral

PostPost by: jimcast » Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:16 am

Depends on whether you want a nice and original specification Lotus to be admired or a non original modified custom/hotrod. Sure any Lotus can be made to go faster/better but then is it a true Lotus. For me original is best!
Discuss!
jimcast
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:33 am

' For me original is best!'

I could not have put it any better myself Jim.

I shall have a completely rebuilt Big Valve engine ready to go shortly, for when you have saved up. See my separate thread on the subject for info. Rebuilt gearbox and diffs on the shelf.

'Last question (for now!) is wondering about any upcoming events in late October/November time as I’d love to come and see some cars in the flesh'

Late October is getting a bit late in the year for seeing Lotus cars out and about. If you were not aware, they disolve if a drop of rain touches them. But this coming Saturday is Malcolm Ricketts open day, where up to 100 Lotus cars will surely attend, as per most years, weather permitting of course.

Enjoy the build Jon.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:57 am

Joncyclet wrote:Hello folks, im a newbie here and have just collected a lovely (well lovely project) +2. It’s my first Lotus so very much looking forward to a slowish burn project and trying to avoid the standard acronym!
I’m guessing this question has been asked many times but I couldn’t find that much and some of the posts were a bit old so wondering if much has changed?
I’d love a Lotus engine but also looking for price/reliability/cost of running/ease of use balance.
I’m happy to make and modify stuff over being original.
My car currently has no engine box or diff and the crossmember has been modified previously for a Zetec. I’ve seen various Spyder info on th engine side.
IMG_1950.jpeg
So there’s at least an obvious answer on the engine but interested in gearbox (mt75?) and diff options.
Equally I have a mk2 MX5 that I have some history with so the idea of using parts is attractive including the parts mentioned but plus some others (seats, electrics).
My car currently has no brakes so options on those also interested to hear on.
Last question (for now!) is wondering about any upcoming events in late October/November time as I’d love to come and see some cars in the flesh.
I’ll add pictures if I can work out how to do that.
Lots of questions and appreciation in advance
Jon

As Jay Leno says "think about what adventures you want to have and then get a car that will deliver those adventures"

I've run cars in original spec and also had cars that were modified. I've also had cars that because of there orginal state I have enjoyed sharing them with enthusiasts who enjoy this. In contrast I have enjoyed showing modded cars to other enthusiasts for their enjoyment. I have also enjoyed the experience of running cars in original form on long distance adventures (e.g. 2000 miles in 2 days) enjoying "time warp" motoring. I have done the same in modded cars which have been altered to work better in the modern environment (E.g. used for a year's commuting).

What I guess I am saying is that for the type of car you have (e.g. with many missing bits) you have full choice.. I'd think about what you want to do with the car (including your budget) and then choose the components..
For example, if you are thinking of using the car daily on motorways/freeways you may want to upgrade the gearbox to a 5 speed.. Then you can choose between the Lotus box which is original and has its faults but can be modded to work well or you could choose a more modern box (e.g. Type 9) which might be cheaper to acquire and has more ratios to choose from and better parts avail, but needs modding to fit.

I'd just think about how you are going use the car.
Tim
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Joncyclet » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:30 pm

Thanks all for your replies.

The choice between original or not is an interesting one. I’m hoping this project will enable some engineering and creativity. The usage will include long distance touring so reliability and drivability will be important. It may go on track but not much or to be competitive. Just for the experience and fun.
Even if non original I want a similar ethos. Effectivity this will replace my Mazda and another classic in the fleet, so Mazda reliability would be good but something more individual/special and proper project.
The budget is far from bottomless hence partly the interest in Mazda parts especially as I have one that I could easily use/break. The spec of the engine is close to the original S motor so if the box and diff fit easily enough it would have a lot going for it.
The chap I bought it from suggested Zetec as there parts made for the conversion.
So if there’s info out there that compares the work/method required to fit either of those that would be super helpful.
Joncyclet
New-tral

PostPost by: pianoderby » Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:12 pm

The Zetec is certainly the tried and true conversion. Personally I’m waiting to see someone stick a Honda K20 in one.
pianoderby
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:36 am

Having put a rover k series in an mg midget I have to say I have wondered whether this would make a good elan engine. It weighs next to nothing and is technologically more advanced than a zetec. The issue with head gasket failures is pretty much sorted and there are bell housings available to fit a type 9. The rover fuel injection can also be grafted into a standard look with just 3/4 wires.
It's not something I am planing for my elan as its complete with a rebuilt twink..
Tim
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gav » Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:39 am

If changes are reversible, the I think it is down to the owner to decide what they want to do with the car.

I have made all sorts of changes over the years and because they are reversible, I can return to originality when I want. For me, the trick is to keep the original components with the car rather than selling them off because if you chose to revert in the future they either wont be available or they will be unaffordable.
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:51 pm

Hi,
The zetec is the easiest route, there is a lot of info on this site, a lot of conversions with quite a few different levels of fabrication from mostly done at home to buying most of the shelf to getting someone like Spyder to just do the lot.
The Duratec has been done, I think the fact that the induction and inlets are opposite to the zetec causes problems
The k series is a great engine but not sure about height issues, and you will probably have issues with the gearbox in relation to the gear lever position, among other things
The zetec is a good choice, it is a modern evolution really of the twin cam, lots of people think it is heresy, but I don't know anyone that has gone the zetec route and gone back to the twin cam
Where are you based, owners of zetec plus 2's are normally more than happy to show there cars to potential new converts :D
I am doing a zetec conversion but keeping the rest of the car lotus, feel free to get in touch anytime, more than happy to pass on my limited knowledge
Regards Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:57 pm

My 5 pennyth. If you want originality buy something else as the cost to achieve it will be huge. You got a project and want to use some engineering skill so take the J Leno advice and build what you want and forget the purists.

The thing you really need to consider is the space in the chassis for engine and gearbox, it's very tight. MX5 bits would probably fit and the performance would probably be similar. I would suggest you keep the Lotus suspension as that's what makes it special, but other than that it's what floats your boat within your budget. :D
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:42 pm

Paul

I was running a very powerful 2 litre blacktop zetec in my sprint which I used for the occasional hillclimb and sprint to great effect.

It was really quick with 225BHP and 180 ft lbs of torque - but I am in the process of refitting my twincam - so I guess I'm the first you've come across.

Main reason is that my son starts driving my Elan next year and with that much power he'd probably have a serious moment. If it weren't for that I'd continue with the Zetec - it is properly quick - but that's the thing with getting a little older...

Not sure what Im going to do with it yet so might bring it into the house for the winter.
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Joncyclet » Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:07 pm

Thanks again all. Useful info in there.
I initially intend to keep the Lotus suspension as I do want it to feel like an Elan and benefit from all its standard dynamics. At the moment I pretty much only have a rolling chassis so no standard parts being chopped or sold off. Just looking at the options for buying and or creating things that suit my needs.
Will be looking into the Zetec route then.
If anyone knows of an MX5 conversion done would be interested to see one. I do prefer the look of the MX engine and the gearbox feels great. I hadn’t really thought of the Zetec as a modern development of the TC so that’s a good point to make it feel right.
I do hope to see some in the flesh so offers to do that gratefully received
Joncyclet
New-tral

PostPost by: shynsy » Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:20 am

elan66 wrote:Hi,
The zetec is the easiest route, there is a lot of info on this site, a lot of conversions with quite a few different levels of fabrication from mostly done at home to buying most of the shelf to getting someone like Spyder to just do the lot.
The Duratec has been done, I think the fact that the induction and inlets are opposite to the zetec causes problems
The k series is a great engine but not sure about height issues, and you will probably have issues with the gearbox in relation to the gear lever position, among other things
The zetec is a good choice, it is a modern evolution really of the twin cam, lots of people think it is heresy, but I don't know anyone that has gone the zetec route and gone back to the twin cam
Where are you based, owners of zetec plus 2's are normally more than happy to show there cars to potential new converts :D
I am doing a zetec conversion but keeping the rest of the car lotus, feel free to get in touch anytime, more than happy to pass on my limited knowledge
Regards Paul

Good advice! Although I suspect k-series heigh might be ok, they fit more easily in this aspect than zetecs do in midgets. I think the gear lever position will be a similar challenge to the one you have fitting any type 9 to an elan. In the midget type9/K-series conversion you need the lever about 1.5 inches back from the positin on the voights type 9 elan conversion to fit it in the stock position.
Interestingly in midget circles the zetec is known as the "boat anchor" and the k series as the natural evolution of the A-series. I've added a photo of the install in the midget just for interest.

Tim
Attachments
2019-08-10 13.51.39.jpg and
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Joncyclet » Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:41 am

Thanks Tim
I like the idea of the K series if reliability can be sorted. A friend has one in his Elise which absolutely sings and nice Lotus link.
Joncyclet
New-tral

PostPost by: shynsy » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:52 am

I think now with the revised gaskets and dowels they are pretty good. The Chinese also bought the ip and put them in cars and they run fine. They do sing and you can have the vvt version as well, although this makes it hard to fit under a midget bonnet as it sticks out upwards.
Tim
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: