Misbehaving horn

PostPost by: TonyA » Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:49 pm

My plus 2 has the collapsible steering column. The horn works when I press it but it also misbehaves: hooting when I make sudden or tight turns and sometimes over bumps...It happens even when I removed the spring 'quill contact and the horn button from the steering wheel so I'm thinking the wire from the relay is shorting in the ( outer) column . Can anyone explain how this wire connects to the brass coloured ring that engages with the contact 'quill' and how can I get at it to fix the problem.. Thx...Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:55 pm

Generally this is due to the hub of the steering wheel touch the outer steering column to earth the horn connection.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:31 pm

..Rohan , thx..what do I have to dismantle to fix it..? Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:15 am

Just adjust the slip joint so the hub moves out and a little away from the outer column. You can generally see on the hub or column wear marks where its touching

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:27 am

Rohan, you are right; there is chafing and grinding particles. I need clarification though: Is the 'Slip Joint' you mention the part referred to in the Workshop Manual (page 9, Section H) as the 'Impact Clamp' with the allen bolt, or something else..? Thx as ever..Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:27 am

My Sprint use to do it when the clamp between steering column and rack was loose.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:05 am

TonyA wrote:Is the 'Slip Joint' you mention the part referred to in the Workshop Manual (page 9, Section H) as the 'Impact Clamp' with the allen bolt, or something else..? Thx as ever..Tony

Yes, that's the only thing that enables the length of the column to be adjusted.

However, as suggested, check that the pinch bolt(s) on the coupling at the rack are also tight so there's no movement there.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:10 am

Hi Tony,
The above suggestions are all correct.
May I also suggest that you check the universal joint between the steering column and the steering rack.
If this has loosened the whole steering column can slip down a little and cause this problem. Mine has done that twice even with a new joint.
If you check the slip joint, which is the sliding part of the collapsible shaft, half way down the column, then you will have to reset the correct torque setting for the Allen screw.
I did not have a means of checking the torque on Allen screws so I silver soldered a piece of an Allen key into a spare socket. Allow about a 2mm gap between the fixed and rotating part of the steering wheel housing.
Hope this helps
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
This overlaps with Paddy`s comments above but may still be useful.
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:44 pm

Thx everyone; I loosened the pinchbolt and set the steering wheel so there was a credit card thickness clearance between steering wheel boss and outer steering wheel cowl. No more misbehaving and as a bonus the indicators have become self cancelling.! Happy days.

BTW the allen bolt socket size is 3/16 and torque 26 to 32 Lb.Ft : I'd err on the lower end of this range because its quite easy to f*** what is a small, awkwardly situated fastener which would ruin your day. Its locking nut needs a 11/16. spanner.

Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:13 pm

Glad you fixed it.

I just remove the two clamping bolts rather than the tension bolt to avoid the risk messing the setting out bolt up.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: