Door Lock Rod Clips

PostPost by: pete.chiswell » Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:18 am

My drivers door would not open from the inside and I had to lower the window and open from the outside a minor panicky moment. After removing the door card I could see the problem immediately, the plastic part of the door rod clip had disintegrated and the rod had slipped out. A simple fix just get some new rod clips all our lotus suppliers had them on their web sites from £1.60 to $4.60 each. I ordered 2 They came they didn't fit the plastic part was 6mm the hole in my door lock 5mm.
I did this 5 more times Each time the result was the same. I eventually found out that they were Land Rover clips.
By this time I had spent £70 on parts packing and VAT. The pictures on the websites all showed lotus parts but all supplied Land Rover parts please see attached Photo.
My 8th attempt was successful and I would like to give a shout out to SJ Sports Cars who had replicas made the correct size
All fitted and working without having to drill bigger holes in the door lock
Attachments
IMG_2178.HEIC.jpg and
pete.chiswell
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:35 pm

Thanks Pete, good information!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:51 pm

I had a similar problem with clips from RD Enterprises.
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:07 pm

Presumably these clips were not Metric sized back in the day? So if you have any originals lying around don't lose them!

I know I got bitten when I purchased a couple of new rods some years ago. (If I remember correctly) they were 1/8" diameter but the correct size is 9/64". The original clips couldn't deal with the smaller diameter....

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: