Wanted for Elan +2 S 1970 - Brake Parts

PostPost by: mcole01 » Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:44 pm

Hello,

Might anyone have the following parts for sale?

1. Brake proportioning valve (mine is seized and can't be rebuilt)
2. Two brackets (one for each brake booster) that retain the boosters to the side wall of the engine compartment?

Thanks much,

Mike
mcole01
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:21 am

Brackets are just folded sheet metal and easily fabricated. Remember that there is also a plate on the inside of the fender with captive nuts welded on. Also easy to fabricate. Brake pressure differential warning valve was common to Federal Europas and Elans, maybe later cars too. Maybe that can widen your search. I know a lot of people run without boosters. My car did not have them but I got some and had them rebuilt and what a difference. Old magazines from the day say the +2 was one of the best braked cars of the day. I wanted to find out and I am not dissapointed with the result. A very tight and responsive set up. Maybe the best boosted brakes I've ever driven. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:28 pm

Hi Mike,
Are you thinking of the pressure differential warning switch when you saw 'proportioning valve?' If so, I may have one lying around the garage but can't vouch for its condition. It doesn't actually proportion anything, it just activates a light on the dashboard when one brake-circuit fails to hold pressure.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wayneharrison » Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:48 pm

GLB wrote:Brackets are just folded sheet metal and easily fabricated. Remember that there is also a plate on the inside of the fender with captive nuts welded on. Also easy to fabricate. Brake pressure differential warning valve was common to Federal Europas and Elans, maybe later cars too. Maybe that can widen your search. I know a lot of people run without boosters. My car did not have them but I got some and had them rebuilt and what a difference. Old magazines from the day say the +2 was one of the best braked cars of the day. I wanted to find out and I am not dissapointed with the result. A very tight and responsive set up. Maybe the best boosted brakes I've ever driven. Gary

Hello Gary,
I’m close to completing an Elan +2 S/130 in Florida a was considering eliminating the boosters till I read your post.
I have both boosters and would welcome some photos of your installation.
Hope you can help.
Wayneharrison
New-tral

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:01 pm

sorry I did not see your reply until now. I had to take photos and resize them for upload. I had Karps Power brake service in CA sleeve my booster. He needed new pushrods as mine were corroded and would not seal. This is a common problem he said and was preventing him from rebuilding other Girling boosters. He said he had tried other work arounds and they did not seal well. I found then at JPSpares in UK. You can also get seal kits from them. The rebuild was not cheap at $450 each including push rods and seal kits. I have been using DOT 5 silicone fluid in my three Lotus for 30 years with never a problem, including boosters on my Europa TC Special. Just my opinion and experience. Gary
Attachments
IMG_0684.JPG and
IMG_0685.JPG and
IMG_0687.JPG and
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wayneharrison » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:52 pm

Gary, many thanks for the prompt and detailed reply.
Judging from the photos, the workmanship is concourse quality. The photos answered many questions and I hope you don’t mind if I keep in touch.
I’m completing the electrical harness install on my Elan and have attached a photo of the current status.
Brake servos are next on the list.
Thanks again,
Wayne
(203)564-4772
Attachments
IMG_4614.jpeg and
IMG_4441.jpeg and
Wayneharrison
New-tral

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:20 pm

very pretty car. If you are going to LOG in Austin next week I plan to have my +2 and Elan there. My son is coming out to drive one or the other. Only 600 miles from El Paso in 60 year old cars. Don't know if I am doubling my pleasure or trouble. They have both made long trips before but everyone is a new adventure. Feel free to reach out to me. I hope I can be of some help. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wayneharrison » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:31 pm

I’m tempted to head for Austin but committed here next week.
There is the 35th British Classic car event in St.Augustine, FL on October 19th that I plan to attend and hopefully there will be some Elan’s there.
Wayneharrison
New-tral

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:44 pm

There is also Texas All British Car Days on Oct 12 in Austin area. I plan to drive one home after the LOG and then return for TABCD to get the other one. I have not decided which one yet. A long solo trip but my inspiration Ross Robbins takes trips in his and I can too. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wayneharrison » Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:00 am

Gary,
Is there a site on which I can see your car. Particularly interested in the engine bay.
Best, Wayne
Wayneharrison
New-tral

PostPost by: GLB » Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:14 pm

no web site but I can take pictures. anything specific or just over all. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:06 pm

here are some pictures, if you want something specific just ask. My evap system is hooked up, no gas smell. I use 7 blade plastic fan. Notice homemade air blocks on either side of the radiator to force all air through the radiator. The stickers on the left side of the radiator are temp stickers that change color according to the water temp in the radiator. I did that to confirm guage reading. On 95F OAT day it runs at thermostat temp or a degree or two above and cools back down in traffic to thermostat temp. This is with stock size (small) radiator and stock electric front mounted fan. Gary
Attachments
IMG_E0692.JPG and
IMG_0691.JPG and
IMG_E0689.JPG and
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wayneharrison » Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:11 pm

Gary, can’t thank you enough for the photos. They have answered so many questions.
The workmanship on your car is terrific. Well done.
Notice you have Girling servos. Were they original to your car?
Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.
Wayne
Wayneharrison
New-tral

PostPost by: GLB » Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:58 pm

Yes they were. I think two were standard on all federal cars. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:18 pm

"Notice homemade air blocks on either side of the radiator to force all air through the radiator."

I think you will find that these are factory parts fitted to the later Plus 2 that used the narrower radiator.
Items 22 & 23 on the attached page from the parts book ( available in the Wiki)

Brian

Screenshot_15-9-2024_221054_lotuselan.net.jpeg and
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: