Pirelli CN36 165r13

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:32 pm

In case other people have been waiting for these to be back in stock, Longstone tyres got a new delivery today (the person I spoke to on the phone helped unload them). Usual disclaimers, etc.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:31 pm

Ordered 4pm Friday and arrived 1:15pm today :D

cn36.jpg and
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:08 pm

For those of you living in the US, Lucas Classic Tires in Long Beach, CA has a fresh stock of these tires, currently offered at $159/ea. Ask for Russ.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:32 am

Does anyone have any comments regarding these versus the Blockley offering?

The Blockleys are quite a bit cheaper and I like the tread pattern but are they any good?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:43 pm

How you going to use the car? If your going to drive it hard then suspect the CN36 will be worth the extra money, I am certainly happy with the performance of mine. I believe they made with one of the soft modern compounds so are quite grippy but have very predictable/consistent break away.

If it will be driven more gently then brockley offering might be good.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:05 pm

draenog wrote:Ordered 4pm Friday and arrived 1:15pm today :D

cn36.jpg

Please do tell us how brilliant they are and can we see some pictures.

A while ago a German magazine Klassik Auto Bild did an independent tyre test

https://www.cinturato.net/images/test-c ... s-0716.pdf

I think it is pretty clear which tyres are the tyres of choice - and which are absolutely not!
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:00 am

First time out today with the new Pirelli's. Always difficult comparing new tyres with old hard tyres, but they stick like sh1t to a blanket :D Tried a really twisty B road and it went round the corners like it was on rails. I would have been sliding with the old tyres (9.5 year old Michelin XAS but not FF). The XAS transformed the car when I fitted them but you don't realise the loss of grip and how much you start to ease off. Best drive in ages :)

Some pictures taken outside the local Tesco Express on the way home. The tyres were nice and warm.

tyres1.jpg and

tyres2.jpg and

tyres4.jpg and

tyres5.jpg and
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:41 am

draenog wrote:First time out today with the new Pirelli's. Always difficult comparing new tyres with old hard tyres, but they stick like sh1t to a blanket :D Tried a really twisty B road and it went round the corners like it was on rails. I would have been sliding with the old tyres (9.5 year old Michelin XAS but not FF). The XAS transformed the car when I fitted them but you don't realise the loss of grip and how much you start to ease off. Best drive in ages :)

That is good to hear. I bet that bit of nice sunshine we had this weekend made it even better. i was at Oulton Park Gold Cup. there was a good turn out of Elans there. I never got to watch them race they must have been the grid just before or after me.

Do you mind if i use those pictures in my media?

Did you get to the edge of the grip. The bit where it starts to move without letting go. that is the extra special bit that Cinturato do better than anything else. You might need a good bit of space for that. not really ideal on an A road.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:45 am

jono wrote:Does anyone have any comments regarding these versus the Blockley offering?

The Blockleys are quite a bit cheaper and I like the tread pattern but are they any good?

13502623_1140775412655834_9167536679354435709_o.jpg and
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:25 pm

dougal cawley wrote:
draenog wrote:First time out today with the new Pirelli's. Always difficult comparing new tyres with old hard tyres, but they stick like sh1t to a blanket :D Tried a really twisty B road and it went round the corners like it was on rails. I would have been sliding with the old tyres (9.5 year old Michelin XAS but not FF). The XAS transformed the car when I fitted them but you don't realise the loss of grip and how much you start to ease off. Best drive in ages :)

Do you mind if i use those pictures in my media?

Sure, no problem.

dougal cawley wrote:Did you get to the edge of the grip. The bit where it starts to move without letting go. that is the extra special bit that Cinturato do better than anything else. You might need a good bit of space for that. not really ideal on an A road.

No, I was just getting used to the tyres. I'll push them a bit harder next time :) The Wye valley is full of tourists at the moment, and I had to wait until 7-8pm for the roads to get less busy. It was chaos earlier on, two cars overtaking a cyclist on a blind corner, a broken down car with hazards on in the middle of the road, horse boxes and caravans galore!
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:47 am

When i had my yellow Lotus Elite, i was out giving it a gentle thrashing, then i popped over this hump back bridge to find some temporary traffic lights with a really long queue that nearly had my plastic rocket burried in the back of it. Fortunately i was fitted with a feresh batch of Cinturato. That is the sortof circumstance where you need fresh rubber.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:18 pm

Dougal

I would suggest that if you couldn't see that the road ahead was clear and you that you nearly hit stationary cars over the bridge, then you were driving much too fast for the conditions. You were on a public road not a race track.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:57 am

andyelan wrote:Dougal

I would suggest that if you couldn't see that the road ahead was clear and you that you nearly hit stationary cars over the bridge, then you were driving much too fast for the conditions. You were on a public road not a race track.

Andy

That is exactly what i thought.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:16 am

My first experience with CN36’s was on 2002 Tii in uk, great grip progressive slides = whole lot of fun.
Then roll into 23 and I’ve fitted them to 73 911 and love it. Changed from R series tyres.
V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:55 am

vstibbard wrote:My first experience with CN36’s was on 2002 Tii in uk, great grip progressive slides = whole lot of fun.
Then roll into 23 and I’ve fitted them to 73 911 and love it. Changed from R series tyres.
V

I have a vague recollection of that Tii
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: