Spyder Cars - Mods - Engine and Tranny Choices

PostPost by: DABARTH » Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:53 pm

Happy Saturday from Minnesota, USA - Some questions for the group...

First... Has anyone else had issues getting a response from SPYDER cars regarding their parts and service? Two weeks and two emails sent later I have yet to get a response?

Second... has anyone done a Zetec conversion into a FACTORY +2 chassis vs using Spyder's, and if so - what challenges did you have in doing so?

Third... The thought of doing such a conversion begs the questions... Which Zetec should one use? More appropriately, which model years are best/easiest for the conversion - regardless of displacement size?

Fourth... I've read the factory +2 4 Speed will bolt right up to the Zetec block... Is this true? If one were to go with a transmission as modern as the doner motor, which is the best to use, and what modifications are entailed there?

Lastly... Crazy question but has anyone attempted to install the latest FORD 2.3 engine into the Elan?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
[email protected]
220...221... Whatever it takes.
DABARTH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:50 pm

The latest may not be the greatest

I am looking at the 2005-2007(ish) Duratec 2.0L

The bell housing is available from Rwdmotorsports or QuickTime in the USA. Or quads4rods but I believe they have stopped production and no stock.

Ford Performance still produces the twincam block and SAS etc (?) does new heads. All is available, through RD Bean JAE etc
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:39 pm

Hi

In my experience only, Spydercars are not the most communicative of companies. The products lack documentation also.

I have a Spyder Zetec chassis, and also an adapted standard Lotus one. I have not installed the (2.0 Zetec) into the adapted chassis yet. I have though installed a Zetec into the Zetec chassis. For the standard Lotus chassis The major adaptation is the cut out required at the front. Picture below. There are threads on this forum where people have done the conversion. You will need a custom propshaft (easily available) and engine mounts. The exhaust manifold could be an issue. I welded a standard twincam one to a steel Zetec plate. You will need a sump that is compatible with RWD. I used a Raceline. Lots of the other parts you ill require are available off the shelf.

Original 4sp gearbox will mate straight up to the bellhousing. I used a type 9 with a concentric clutch which bolts straight up also.

I suggest you use a 2.0 Zetec Blacktop, as for other engines you do not want anything much heavier than a standard Twincam, and also the height of the engine is a major consideration.

All the best

Berni
Attachments
zetec.jpeg and
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DABARTH » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:22 pm

Thank you, BOTH and I'm looking forward to reading more stories!

Cheers,

Aaron
DABARTH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

38, 39, whatever it took! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS