Putting the elan on the lift

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun May 05, 2024 4:54 pm

Those are cool. Unfortunately the Elan rim size may be too small?

Features

6,600-lb. maximum lifting capacity (1,650lbs. each)
Changes lift from chassis-support to wheel support
Easy to install on 2-post lift arms
Suitable for arms with a 1 ½" or 2" diameter hole
Perfect for tire rim diameter range 15"-17"
Recommended for extremely low-chassis or electric vehicles for maintenance & battery replacement

Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun May 05, 2024 5:28 pm

I find with the back wheels on the Ramps i can use a Jack to lift under Chapman and remove a Wheel easily.
I also have TVR 3000M and TVR 3000S. The Lift is perfect for these also.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 pm

i have looked many times at the possibility of buying one of the many variants/lengths/sizes of platform Scissor lifts for use with my +2S130 but to date I have come to the conclusion that whilst they many work fine for the baby Elan none of the variants work easily without a lot of hassle for the +2.
The measurements don't work out for the +2 without a lot a creative hassle being involved which would make their day to day use I think a real pain!
I would dearly love to buy one and have nearly pressed the button on buying one many times but I cannot get over the fact that using one would create for me in my 18ft square small garage far more hassle and time than the simple 4 old style car ramps that cost me £30 secondhand I presently use.
Having said that the Quickjack like Stu has appeals the most because possibly the measurements of the Quickjack might possibly work the easiest for the +2. However, the radial movement of the lift is the issue with this one for my circumstances.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun May 05, 2024 7:45 pm

I also have the quick jack bl5000 which works well for the plus two, with added wood spreaders. Also mod'd it with roller balls so it can be slid around the floor when flat.

It's a lot easier to use in a double/wide garage. I have used it in my current 7.5ft wide garage. Wasn't quite as bad as expected but still not great as bit tricky to put it down the side of the car and then slide it under. A drive over ramp works be better in narrow spaces imo.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Fri May 17, 2024 8:55 pm

Alan,

Have you considered the EZcarlift? I've been using one on my Plus 2 for over a year and find it very useful. When I'm not using it I simply roll it under my Miata because they sit side by side. Of course this assumes you have a two car garage otherwise you'd have to hang it from the wall.

With the ramp extenders you can fit the rubber pads on the ramps directly under the jacking points with a third rubber pad situated between them. As Stu mentions in his post, make sure your sills are sound if you plan on supporting the car on them.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat May 18, 2024 8:53 am

Following the thread with some alarm .
Are we really saying that jacking up a Plus , or an Elan , sending the drive shafts into full droop would destroy serviceable roto flex couplings?
Have we never had to change a rear wheel using the jack supplied by Lotus?
greg40green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat May 18, 2024 10:56 am

As i underdstand we are saying it's best not to leave rear wheels drooping for a long time. Or leave them drooping when not necessary.
But for me with the CVDS Elantrikbits it's no problem if with standard length shocks.
As for the original Lotus Jacks imho they are rubbish and just for polishing to go with original Tool Roll lol.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smiths everest » Sat May 18, 2024 12:50 pm

Fortunately I have Sue Miller CVs so straining doughnuts on full droop not a concern. After many months of researching various lift options I plumped for a full height scissor lift.
I have good sills but I don't trust the jacking points, so after advice from another long standing forum member I copied his method of
using two lengths of 4x2 with a layer of 15mm foam glued on top to spread the weight and line them up 1/2 inch inboard of the curved sill seam for the whole length of the cill. I've used this for two years without the slightest creak or groan from the car and the scissor lift means no pillars and gives fantastic unhindered access to all wheel, suspension and chassis components.
Attachments
20221014_154235.jpg and
Scissor lift.
20221014_154318.jpg and
Scissor lift.
20221011_145719.jpg and
Scissor lift.
smiths everest
New-tral

PostPost by: shynsy » Sat May 18, 2024 1:38 pm

Lifted on the scissor lift with rubber pads under the sills and all good. No creaks and no signs of the car exploding.
Tim
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat May 18, 2024 2:01 pm

Hi smiths everest,
Same type of lift as mine. 100% no problems
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:21 pm

I can extend the arms of my lift to pick up the chassis (frame) just behind the front wheels. I use the ends of the sills at the rear.

I figure if anything is going to fall out, I figure its going to be the engine and gearbox end of the frame.

The lift came from Automotec (Chinese) and was very reasonable. A lot of steel for the price. Overall well made, but a couple of welds needed dressing that were fouling the hydraulic rams.

It cost a lot less than I paid to have part of the garage floor replaced and reinforced.

IMG_2969 (2).jpg and
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat May 18, 2024 6:38 pm

Harvey wrote:Alan,

Have you considered the EZcarlift? I've been using one on my Plus 2 for over a year and find it very useful. When I'm not using it I simply roll it under my Miata because they sit side by side. Of course this assumes you have a two car garage otherwise you'd have to hang it from the wall.

With the ramp extenders you can fit the rubber pads on the ramps directly under the jacking points with a third rubber pad situated between them. As Stu mentions in his post, make sure your sills are sound if you plan on supporting the car on them.

Lee

Hi Lee,
Yes i have looked at the EZlift and it does look a nice bit of kit and I did about 12months ago seriously consider a secondhand one that some on here was selling but the EZ lift is really quite expensive here in the UK and the additional accessories needed to make it work on a +2 I decided was prohibitive for me.

Midrise scissor lifts seem to come in various sizes and measurements so I personally think if you can perhaps find a model variation that suits your Elan or +2 then they can be made to work ok with some fiddling around if and providing you have CV's fitted. ....And that is the very big issue that I see!.....The thought of distorted Rotoflexes hanging out of shape for hours/days on end and the consequences that must bring to a Rotoflex joint just gives me the shudders. It just cannot do them any good and cannot help but really shorten their life.

I like having Rotoflexes on my +2 and this issue I cannot for the life of me come to terms with and it definitely stops me from buying a scissor lift.
Maybe one day if I live long enough though I will see the light and convert my car to CV's?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Sun May 19, 2024 3:56 am

Alan,

I do understand. I forgot you don't live in the US where the EZcarlift is manufactured making the lift very expensive for British and European Lotus owners. I hope you'll eventually find a solution for your issue with the Rotoflexes.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: