How to mount Quarterlight Window

PostPost by: hastu » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 am

Seemingly simple, but still very tedious. I'm trying to fit my Quarterlight and just can't find the right way.
I have bought new rubbers, which are of course very hard. When I put the small window in on one side, it pops out on the other side. And in the end I also have to mount and screw the cross strut from below. Who has a trick on how best to do this? Do you also have to put a cord in the rubber lip?
Attachments
K1600_IMG_7031.JPG and
Quarterlight Rubber
K1600_IMG_7070.JPG and
Quarterlight
Hanspeter
Elan +2 S130 1971 Pistachio Lime Green
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hastu » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:57 pm

Does really nobody have a Tipp or an idea how to mount this Quarterlight?
Hanspeter
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:56 pm

Unfortunately never done it.
I would have thought sliding it in from the bottom, guiding it in both sides of the rubber and with your third hand keeping the top in both channels at the same time
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:12 pm

I did this seven or eight year ago so the memory is somewhat dim but I remember it as being awful. I used parallel jawed wooden furniture clamps as my third hand. Lots of soapy water lubricant and as I remember I pulled it in with the clamp on the bottom of the glass and the top jaw on the frame at the apex of the glass. very slowly and with much trepidation. Once the glass was in I used another clamp to hold the bottom together to replace the screwed in frame. No pictures and this description is not the best but that is what I remember. I don't want to do it again. Gary.
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rob1n » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:04 am

I had to make a new channel for the bottom of the quarter glass. I used copious amounts of washing up liquid to slide in the glass I then put the channel on after from memory. I did have the frame out of the door.
Rob1n
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: hastu » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:56 am

It is done. The solution was to pull the window frame together with a tensioning strap. With a lot of soapy water and a rubber mallet from below, it was possible to fit the window into the rubber. We had also inserted a cord so that we could pull the rubber lip neatly outwards. Many thanks for all your support
Attachments
Quarter Light 2.JPG and
Hanspeter
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:36 pm

Thank you for the update. Very useful. I plan to do mine when it stops raining… so some time in the future.
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
1979 Lancia V6 Group B Rally Car
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: