Plus 2 wiper spindle seals

PostPost by: TonyA » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:55 pm

I decided to eliminate a water leak by replacing the wiper spindle seals. Trouble is the new seal thickness doesn't allow enough of the spindle thread to catch the octagonal nut. Looking at past posts, it was suggested that there is a plastic spacer bush on the spindle inside the car, which determines how much of the spindle thread protrudes beyond the bezel and this can be extracted by pushing in the spindle, then trimmed by a couple of mm to allow a bit more of the spindle to poke thru and proprly catch the octagonal locking nut..Looking at the rdent parts diagram, I can't see such a spacer bush, neither can I see a bush on a new plus 2 wheelbox. I
Screenshot_20240303-153839_Chrome.jpg and
Wheelbox

I really would like to use the correct rubber seal rather than a smear of sealant, anyway I don't want the spindle nut literally hanging hanging on a thread.. Can anyone shed any light on wether there is indeed a plastic bush and if so, can it be exracted, trimmed and put back..Thx..Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:54 pm

This picture clearly shows the plastic spacer you are looking for. It not only sets the amount the boss protrudes but also the angle. It would be strange if it was totally missing. Could it (they) be stuck somehow inside the body?
Another alternative could be that the wrong wheelbox has been supplied. I think the right wheelbox without the spacer would 'flop about'
HTH
wiper box.jpg and
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alex.mcguffie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:32 pm

These are standard BMC wheel boxes as used on Morris Minors etc. Moss Europe and ESM Minors should stock them. They could be trimmed to show more thread if needed.

Hmm, just checked Moss and showing as not currently available.

Alex
alex.mcguffie
New-tral

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:16 am

Its true that this general form was used in many BMC cars of the era but there were many variations including length of the boss , number of teeth on the internal gear and the mounting angle.
According to my information the correct Lucas part number for the Elan +2 version is 72761B. However I'm not sure if that includes the plastic spacer that the original post was about. There is a guy selling 3d printed spacers on Ebay . See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165049537541
All the best
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: