When one door closes... The other one won't open.

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:42 am

Hello all,

..Well, doing the final trim work on the Lotus Plus 2, and I am stuck on the door assembly. (This car was in pieces when I purchased it. ) I think there may be an obvious answer but I can't seem to sort it.

My question is: How does the linkage work properly if it is external to the composite, and sandwiched next to the door card? My door card installation leaves very little space and is interfering with the plastic connector piece. It moves poorly with the card installed, and when actuated it will come apart. It is too constricted. Did I miss something? I understand this isn't headline technical news, but its the little things like this that can be frustrating during restoration...thanks!.
Attachments
IMG_3208.jpg and
IMG_3204-1.jpg and
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
'67 Elan S3 DHC
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:06 pm

The interior handles are handed, so possibly you have fitted passenger side to drivers side or vice versa. The nylon connector looks to be at an angle in your picture, but it may just be the camera angle. You haven't done anything wrong as far as I can see.

It is tight behind the door card, but there is enough room (just). The nylon connector is not very robust and I was plagued by the rods popping out. The solution is to use cable ties to hold the rods into the connector, works for me. just do them up tight and snip off the excess with wire cutters, also pop a washer between the spring and the nylon connector, that helps keep it straight in use.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:22 pm

I cut and drilled a nylon block to keep the tension between the rods, the rods really do flex too much. I believe the stock unit is insufficient.

do your window frames touch the body, as in flex to the body?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:49 am

Thanks for the replies. I ended up mounting the linkage rods alignment bracket piece, behind the composite panel. The white connector piece became more parallel to the door skin, and was further tucked in. I then "carved out a notch in the door panel cardboard for additional clearance. These actions seems to have eliminated the interference problem. Thanks again!
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
'67 Elan S3 DHC
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: