+2 crashpad (1973)

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:18 pm

Might anyone have their 130 +2 crashpad off? Would you please take a photo of the ends of the lower panel and how it connects to two brackets that in turn are held in place by the door light switch?

I have everything off without taking much note of how it came off and cannot make head nor tail of it :D :D

I have searched t'internet for an exploded view, but so far no luck. If anyone has a link to such a thing, will you send it to me please?

As always, thanks!
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:39 pm

I fitted a new dashboard many years ago. I still have the old one. The brackets are attached to the dashboard underneath the ventilation "eyes" with two small woodscrews 3" apart., see pic. It looks like the height was changed at some stage.The drilling looks like maybe a small bolt was also added, as the screws are very flimsy, I can't remember.

:)
Attachments
IMG_3297.JPG and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:52 pm

Thanks Foxie - I will see if this makes sense with what I have. Lining them up as I thought they should be, the brackets are in the centre of the vents! But maybe if I reverse them, they will line up as you suggest... Tomorrow. I shall sit in the sun this afternoon!

Another one - do you know if the bottom of the dash board is meant to sit on the tunnel ahead of the gear lever, or is it held off by the two bolts? (I am making a complete new one for the lhd conversion, but the existing board is a bit of a mess down there and hard to tell...)
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:19 pm

HCA wrote:
<snip>
Another one - do you know if the bottom of the dash board is meant to sit on the tunnel ahead of the gear lever, or is it held off by the two bolts? (I am making a complete new one for the lhd conversion, but the existing board is a bit of a mess down there and hard to tell...)

I think ideally it should sit snugly on the tunnel, with the bolts just restraining it in the forward/rear axis. You might need to slot the bolt holes in the angle bracket to avoid unnecessary stresses on the timber dash.

68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:57 pm

I can confirm that the dash does not sit on the tunnel but is held off the tunnel by approx 3-4mm. At least mine is.
How I know this is because when fiddling around a couple of months ago making a gearlever grommet surround plate for my Type 9 gearlever the original gearlever grommet surround just slides under the dash between the dash and the tunnel.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:42 pm

Thanks Foxie and Alan!

It looks like mine might not have rested on the tunnel, but difficult to say for sure as the bolt holes are a mess and both collars are missing.

As it is a dash that I am making, I can size it to be anything. I agree with Foxie that resting on the tunnel reduces any stress, but are there any downsides I ask?
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:18 pm

alanr wrote:I can confirm that the dash does not sit on the tunnel but is held off the tunnel by approx 3-4mm. At least mine is.
How I know this is because when fiddling around a couple of months ago making a gearlever grommet surround plate for my Type 9 gearlever the original gearlever grommet surround just slides under the dash between the dash and the tunnel.

Alan.

I've just checked my old dash. The bottom section is 11.5" wide, but there is a 4.5" x 1/4" recess in the bottom centre, and the new one, which I took photos of when fitting, is exactly the same. So only the outer sections sit directly on the tunnel.

BTW, I also have a T9 gearbox, and the gear lever cover plate also neatly slots in under the dash !

Attachments
P6030750.JPG and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:22 pm

Bracket is bolted to a stud plate (050b1208.. see parts book in wiki) which is attached to the back of the dash with 4 screws as shown at bottom left of the picture below.

Brian.

PA070194.JPG and
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:45 pm

ncm wrote:Bracket is bolted to a stud plate (050b1208.. see parts book in wiki) which is attached to the back of the dash with 4 screws as shown at bottom left of the picture below.

Brian.

The attachment PA070194.JPG is no longer available

That's correct, I remember it now, you can see the 4 screw holes in my pic.

Attachments
IMG_3297.JPG and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:10 am

Thanks Brian - I'd better search through the mound of bits for these brackets - I honestly do not remember removing them :D

Thanks Alan and Foxie for the T9 gaiter tip. As I will have a T9 in there one day, I will make a cutout at the base of the facia...
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gazzerb » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:46 am

HCA

Just to add to the responses so far.
As noted by Brian, there is a mounting plate fitted to both ends of the dash. If you need to make these, they are 4 1/2" long x 3/4" wide and have two 3/16" diameter captive studs (10-32 UNF) at 3 1/2" centres. Fixings to dash are with four No4 x 3/8" long countersunk wood screws.
Couple more pictures to illustrate.

Regards
Gary
Attachments
IMG_8008.jpg and
IMG_8004.jpg and
IMG_8007.jpg and
IMG_8006.jpg and
Gary

1972 Elan +2 S130/5
2001 Elise S2
Gazzerb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:57 am

Hal,
See attached pic which will perhaps help you understand why it would not be desirable to have the Dash sitting hard on the tunnel. It will cause you issues with sorting the gearlever grommet.
As you can see the aperture for the gearlever grommet, goes forwards under the dash cutout so a gap is necessary.
001.jpg and

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:21 pm

Gary - a big thanks! I scoured the place this morning with no luck. In the back of my mind I remember seeing these and must have put them somewhere. They will turn up in ten years time maybe!

I see the four holes in my old dash, so with your measurements and where they are placed, easy to continue, if not laborious.

Alan yes, as I mentioned above, I too will have a T9, so useful to have the cutout, and have the dash rest on two legs so to speak. So thanks too!

I am making a lhd conversion that will incorporate an XR3i steering column a la Evante. I need to make a template to get the correct shape around the steering cowl for which I shall cut up and use the original facia. On lining it up, I see that the whole facia is held in place at four points - two on the tunnel and two under the air vents, yes? I cannot remember if there were any others.

The four bolts along the top underneath the crashpad nose hold the plate to which the screen vents are bolted, with the crashpad sandwiched between this plate and the facia. Are there any mounting points of this plate that I might have forgotten, or is the whole lot cantilevered off the four bolts on the top of the facia?

Again thanks.
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:24 pm

Here’s some pics which may help, if you’re still looking for some.

IMG_0518.jpeg and

IMG_0528.jpeg
IMG_0528.jpeg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 5190 times
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:31 pm

Thanks Donels. I still have not found the plates, but your pic along with Gary’s and Brian’s will help if I have to make new.
Hal Adams
Evora SR
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: