Buying plus 2 advice

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:59 pm

Good luck and good idea to look at two to compare.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ginettaman » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:20 pm

I should point out I'm in East Yorkshire so cars hundreds of miles away would be very difficult to view. Sunday will be hard work with 6 or 7 hours driving I suspect.
I wouldn't mind a modernized car with throttle bodies and ECU or even a zetec conversion. My last Ginetta G4 ran a 2.0L zetec on injection and it ran great.
Attachments
IMG_20230820_112401_1.jpg and
Ginettaman
New-tral

PostPost by: Ginettaman » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:20 am

What about the plus 2 rotten cills? How can I check them out? How expensive are replacements and how difficult is the job? How do they come out? Thanks
Ginettaman
New-tral

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:34 pm

Loads of threads on the subject.
You need to get used to using the search faciity. Every thing you need on these cars has usually been discussed umpteen times before.
This is one thread on the subject of +2 sill member replacement but there are loads of others...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18187

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:22 am

Ginettaman wrote:What about the plus 2 rotten cills? How can I check them out? How expensive are replacements and how difficult is the job? How do they come out? Thanks

Replacing cills is very straightforward and you may be amazed at how rotten they can get!
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:33 am

Hi

The last one I took out was more a case of jet washing it out. The last few bits were right buggers to get out though.

As has been said there are many guides, and lots of guidance available, but once you get going what you need to do will become obvious.

It sounds like at the budget you are contemplating you will not need to do this particular job.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:07 am

alanr wrote:Loads of threads on the subject.
You need to get used to using the search faciity. Every thing you need on these cars has usually been discussed umpteen times before.
This is one thread on the subject of +2 sill member replacement but there are loads of others...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18187

Alan

FWIW, I find google's search much better. Format the query in the google search bar as:

site:lotuselan.net type-your-query-here

It is particularly helpful if you want to find a picture or diagram as you can display images rather than text hits.

site:lotuselan.net +2 sill replacement - brought up over 30 pictures and many more text hits.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ginettaman » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:47 pm

Thanks I found one car with stainless sill inserts and other seemed ok but no guarantee I guess.
Ginettaman
New-tral

PostPost by: Ginettaman » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:55 pm

I viewed 3 cars all completely different and had a short drive in one. I've got a few more to check out as they don't seem to be selling quickly. Be care as a blue one on ebay that looks good on photos is claiming a replacement Galvanized chassis but on inspection it looked to be the original chassis repainted. There was no sign of any zinc under any of the rust spots. Another car I saw clearly did have a bare galvanized one. A dealer appears to have claimed this bold statement which to me is criminal deception.
Ginettaman
New-tral

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:21 pm

The car i think you are referring to I would definitely agree has a freshly black painted what looks like to be a Spyder chassis. i agree definitely not galvansised. It also appears to have non-original Spyder wishbones.
The advertising also says it has a S130 engine. Well, for starters it has the wrong cam cover for an S130. It is an early car cam cover which says to me perhaps the engine has been changed? It could have been an early engine upgraded I suppose to 130 spec but either way it is not the original engine.
The car is priced very very highly in todays market for what appears to me to definitely be a bit of a mongrel.
I think the problem is that the majority of so called classic car dealers don't really have clue what they are selling and are just in it for a fast buck from some green unsuspecting punter.
It does make me angry though and at the same time sad to see such open misrepresentation.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ginettaman » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:51 pm

The guy got very nasty too when I asked him technical questions about the engine and Non Galv chassis. Shame really as some good bits too but false advertising. Surely he should expect questions and have evidence of advertised work for enthusiasts viewing. Don't think it was a Spyder chassis but lower wishbones were none standard.
Ginettaman
New-tral

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:57 pm

There have been different versions of Spyder chassis over the years. Earlier ones have a different shape front crossmember and other differences.

Keep looking.....Good luck!

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: