Elan +2 Duel/tandem brake master cylinder wanted

PostPost by: mcole01 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:11 pm

Hi members,

In need of a duel/tandem brake master cylinder for my 1970 Elan +2.

Mike
mcole01
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Tim » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:54 am

I fitted this one to my Plus 2 and am really happy with it. Available on ebay - search "Westfield, Caterham, Lotus 7, Elan, Cortina, AP Lockheed brake master cylinder". Outlets are on the opposite side and the cylinder is longer than the Girling single circuit unit so I had to move the peddle box slighly so that it would all fit. That was a bit of a mission, but I wanted to reinforce the bulkhead with more layers of glassfibre anyway as I think the standard arrangement is too flimsy. I'd deleted the servo, so really wanted the buldhead to be stiff and the peddle box to be secure, so I also made a flanged bracket underneath so the reinforced glass fibre bulthead was sandwiched. I had to use banjo fittings on the outlets as the clearance to the body was tight. The peddle box has to be kept tight to the side of the engine bay or its a nightmare getting the air box on and off.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg and
1974 Elan Plus 2S 130/5.
Tim
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:24 pm

Assisted or unassisted brakes?

Think they had different sized master cylinders. The one mentioned by Tim would be good for unassisted brakes. But are hard or expensive to get.

The early spitfire dual cylinder will also fit for unassisted but requires changing the fluid reservoir.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tim » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:03 am

The Westfield/Caterham stanard (AP Lockheed) dual m/c is 0.7" bore, and yes I do use it without any servo.
1974 Elan Plus 2S 130/5.
Tim
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:54 am

Great to hear from someone with a Caterham servo, I've got one for my Zetec build. It has Sierra brakes so I'm not sure about pedal loads but I'm also planning to run without a servo if possible.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:45 pm

I was in the same boat. Do you have the old component.

Sent mine to White Post Restorations for resleaving and refurbishement. They specialize in all sorts of vintage repairs, especially hydraulics. I'm now a happy camper again...good luck.
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
'67 Elan S3 DHC
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:45 pm

mikealdren wrote:Great to hear from someone with a Caterham servo, I've got one for my Zetec build. It has Sierra brakes so I'm not sure about pedal loads but I'm also planning to run without a servo if possible.

I fitted the Zetec brakes (Spyder made up drive shafts to fit my original diff ) to my standard +2S.

I still use the original servo, and the pedal loads feel just about right.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: