Elan +2 front wings different

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:25 pm

Started on my +2 rebuild again, cills have been strengthened, but in process noticed OSF wing profile looked, well odd compared to NSF. Always suspected it had had repairs but without in depth knowledge of what the under wing should look like, don't know which side is right as lots of bits of fibreglass hanging off!

I guess it would be too much to ask if there are engineering drawings for the body, presume its what came out of the mold. The only other way would be to take profiles from a good +2 but not many around here. Any other ideas appreciated!

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Hi There

When I was trying to work out if my car had a bent chassis or a bent body I shone a laser across the front and noted any differences. The car had had a new nose section at some point in the past. The pictures are on a thread here titled some thing like "Is this cassis bent", in fact link copied below.......

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=49995&start=30

Best of luck

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:02 am

Can get an idea of shape of replacement parts at
http://rdent.com/manuals/plus2/body/bo.htm
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:20 am

mbell wrote:Can get an idea of shape of replacement parts at
http://rdent.com/manuals/plus2/body/bo.htm

Thanks, thats interesting as looks like the wings come in 2 parts joined roughly in centre - thats exactly where the wing looks odd. Theres no obvious join although inside wheel arch it looks a bit messy. Using a bit of wood the wing dips in by a good 1/4-1/2".

I think I'll put out a general forum query to see if anyone has one near me I can have a look at.

One other thing, putting on Spyder metal cill reinforcements before lifting body and the fron/rear lower edge are lower than body line. Looks like the body is gently curved - is this correct or could it be bananed? I had this on a soft top Spitfire once but the Elan+2 is more solid...I'd have thought?
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:24 am

berni29 wrote:Hi There

When I was trying to work out if my car had a bent chassis or a bent body I shone a laser across the front and noted any differences. The car had had a new nose section at some point in the past. The pictures are on a thread here titled some thing like "Is this cassis bent", in fact link copied below.......

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=49995&start=30

Best of luck

Berni

Like the pictures and especially the laser line across front which seems to suggest perfection - I'm guess ing you used a builders laser on a tripod?

Mine is still on chassis and 50yrs old pretty sure original, reinforcing cills before lifting body but concerned as lower cill line is gently curved (compared to straight edge Spyder metal cill replacements) and wondering whether car is bananad, would have thought unlikley bodywise as has roof, but unsure
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:07 pm

Hi There

Its timely you mention the sills as I literally filled a bucket with rust pieces and dust from one today. I haven't pushed the new one in yet, but its not the Spyder type. I do have a body with Spyder ones in though, and it's possible my other body has them also, I will check. From memory though on other bodies I have had in the past they do stick out lower at each end and the body is curved. You can grind off the excess quite easily if it bothers you.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:35 am

Its timely you mention the sills as I literally filled a bucket with rust pieces and dust from one today. I haven't pushed the new one in yet, but its not the Spyder type. I do have a body with Spyder ones in though, and it's possible my other body has them also, I will check. From memory though on other bodies I have had in the past they do stick out lower at each end and the body is curved. You can grind off the excess quite easily if it bothers you.

All the best

Berni

Hi Berni, thats quite a relief to know the cill is gently curved, I wasn't so much bothered by appearance but more that the shell could be bent, after all its been sitting for some 40+ years with non existent strengthening cills - which like yours are in a bucket now! I went for the Spyder after recommendations but guess not as flexible as originals. Sounds like youve a similar basket to renovate! I'll probably look to see if anyone near me that I can check wing profile, sides are definitely different but until body off I can't view properly

Thanks again

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:45 pm

Rather than using drawings why not make a template from the other side. If they both look the same it will not be noticeable.

My +2 is in the body shop and they found that the front of the LH wheel arch was much closer to the tyre than the RH side. LH had a repair section added and it wasn’t in the correct position. A template was made from the other side, cut out and repositioned. It now looks perfect.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:52 pm

[quote="Donels"]Rather than using drawings why not make a template from the other side. If they both look the same it will not be noticeable.

My +2 is in the body shop and they found that the front of the LH wheel arch was much closer to the tyre than the RH side. LH had a repair section added and it wasn’t in the correct position. A template was made from the other side, cut out and repositioned. It now looks perfect.

Thats good advice, I've borrowed a profile gauge which will help. Problem is - I'm not sure which side is correct! Pretty sure its the N/S as, well looks right but would be handy to see a proper one. The O/S tyre shows rubbing on inner wheel arch as well. The car shows I've been to this year, no Elans/+2 but there are some around in my area. I'll concentrate on the other cill first and then lift the body to have a better look.
Thanks for replies, appreciated.

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:43 am

Danbuoy

Show you location you may get someone local to assist
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:55 pm

Hawksfield wrote:Danbuoy

Show you location you may get someone local to assist

Hi John, my apologies I didn't know I hadn't set it - have done now, its Ipswich UK

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:25 pm

All the best

Berni

Absolutely my experience too!

The Spyder cills are dead straight. The fibreglass body cill is not meant to be straight.
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:17 am

EPC 394J wrote:

All the best

Berni

Absolutely my experience too!

The Spyder cills are dead straight. The fibreglass body cill is not meant to be straight.

Thats a relief to know, I just wasn't sure but a lot happier now, many thanks for all replies. Worry stems from years ago replacing cills on a Spitfire only to find couldn't shut doors afterwards as the cills were structural and body had sagged.........

I'll concentrate on getting body strenghtened first before looking at wings again, hopefully I'll find someone local I can compare with.

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: