Which model

PostPost by: persimmon » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:07 am

Still looking to buy one ( 6 yrs so far , no point in rushing things ) but not sure about the variants available . Is the big valve / 5 speed a better car . Do they command higher prices ? Would it be possible to convert an earlier car into the 130 / 5 spec ?
Thanks
persimmon
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:31 pm

Personally I wouldn't worry about the exact model or color. Instead just get the best one you can afford. You snooze you lose.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:46 pm

An appropriate loose Lotus five speed is a very rare item. A similar gearbox was used in early Esprit models, but there are critical differences which require original Lotus parts to convert.

If you want a car with the Lotus five speed way better to search for one. The focus now seems to be on using the MT-75 or either a Ford T5 or T9 if modifying a four speed model.

Not sure of your location, but here in North America unfortunately the five speed model is pretty rare.

Good luck in your search
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:03 pm

Whether the 130/5 is a better model is a person preference and use thing. The 5 speed is useful if you need to do longer distances at higher speed and the extra power is good. The four speed box is great shifting box, the 5 speed isn't as nice but can be good if in good condition.

But as said, these car are all 50 years old now so better to buy on condition than specific model, or be prepared to wait.

It fairly standard to rebuild engines to Big Valve spec or better by default on an engine rebuild.You can also fit the Lotus 5 speed but they are hard to find and could be expensive to buy in good condition. They'll also not the most robust gearbox. There is a company that I always forget it name that offer a modified Type 9 that is bolt in but the avaiablity can be variable and long.

stugilmour wrote:A similar gearbox was used in early Esprit models, but there are critical differences which require original Lotus parts to convert.

I think you meant Elite/Eclat. The Esprits use a Citroen or Renault box I believe.

The Elite/Eclats Lotus 5 Speed boxes have different tail housings that won't fit the Elan or +2.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phil1800 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:13 pm

The Lotus 5 speed is extremely welcome for longer hauls or greater distances driven beyond 65 mph. On the Autobahns here it is a pain to drive anything above 30 miles with the 4 speed box and the standard differential ratios. But the 5 speed is not anywhere close to the precision on the 4 speed. Nevertheless, changing the 4 to the 5 was one of the best improvements for my S3.
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:35 pm

Yes, thanks for the correction. Of course it was the rear wheel drive models.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: