Rare as Hens' Teeth

PostPost by: MaxDwellTime » Sun May 14, 2023 11:33 am

All,

Once upon a time, I had the base for the interior light (centre, by the rear view mirror) of my early 1968 Elan +2 but no lens.

Now, I have acquired (what I believe to be) the correct lens but have lost the base. [Actually, it was disappointingly lost by 'others' on my behalf].

As I say, mine is an early +2 and the centre interior light is the one with the switch toggle which sticks out at the end of the unit rather than through the face of the lens.

I realise that these are rare as hens' teeth .... but ........ does anybody have one for sale?

Bob.
MaxDwellTime
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun May 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Is this the piece you're after Bob?
The plastic is good and strong, but needs a bit of a clean up. The switch lever is a bit yellowed, probably from ciggy smoke, but I have cleaned them up before (very carefully) using Solvol Autosol.

Mark
Attachments
DSC_0283.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MaxDwellTime » Sun May 14, 2023 6:22 pm

Mark,

Thanks for your speedy response.

Yes, I do believe that's the one.

Would you be willing to part with it?

Bob.
MaxDwellTime
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun May 14, 2023 8:30 pm

You can have it Bob as I'm not going to use it.

Having a closer look at the back the male connector is a little short, so a piece may have to be soldered on. It's copper though so should be straight forward.

PM me you name / address details and I'll pop it in the post. Can't do that until Saturday as our lane is closed from 7am to 7pm due to it being re-surfaced, but it is open on the weekend!

Cheers, Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MaxDwellTime » Mon May 15, 2023 1:34 pm

Mark,

Many thanks.

I have scribed a PM which is currently sitting in my outbox. Hopefully it will soon be winging its way to you.

Bob.
MaxDwellTime
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Tue May 16, 2023 12:43 am

MaxDwellTime wrote:Mark,

Many thanks.

I have scribed a PM which is currently sitting in my outbox. Hopefully it will soon be winging its way to you.

Bob.

PM's stay in the outbox until they are read by the recipient.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MaxDwellTime » Thu May 18, 2023 7:35 am

Bill,

Thanks for that.

I am not too familiar with this email system and had been assuming messages sat in the outbox pending vetting by the email police or due to some intrinsic delay in the system. Big Brother paranoia on my part!

Thanks again.

Bob.
MaxDwellTime
New-tral

PostPost by: jono » Thu May 18, 2023 9:43 am

a great gesture from Mark!

On a similar note does anyone know where to obtain replacement lenses for these - the usual suspects seem to be out of stock?

I need three including the one referred to in this thread with the toggle switch at the end.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu May 18, 2023 3:21 pm

The plain ones are from an Anglia and Zodiac I believe, but the lens is a bit pricey !
Not seen a lens for the side switch version.
https://www.classicfordspares.co.uk/pro ... light-lens

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MaxDwellTime » Fri May 19, 2023 1:45 pm

Jon,

If I recall correctly, I was lucky enough to get a set of three lenses on ebay from a chap in Portugal. I am not certain whether they are original or reproduction but they are clean and neat and fitted nicely.

I have scoured my email records in search of his name but without success.

However, looking on ebay today, I found this ad (it's for a centre lens but, unfortunately, with the switch tab through the front face) but the seller's name rang a bell with me and he seems to have a few classic car bits, so he might be worth contacting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item= ... icardocpcm

Bob,
MaxDwellTime
New-tral

PostPost by: wotsisname » Fri May 19, 2023 1:59 pm

I also got a set of lenses (x3 forearly +2) from Portugal a few years back.. Possibly the same guy. They are the correct translucent white ,rather than the clear ones that I have seen advertised.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat May 20, 2023 9:23 am

His name is Ricardo Menezes, and he has hunted down a lot of rare Ford bits and pieces. He is totally reliable, and we share a passion for 2 door 1600E Cortinas, hence my car has quite a few parts fitted bought from him.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: