Extra wires in nose area of Federal Elan Plus 2 1758

PostPost by: kevinkay » Mon May 08, 2023 8:52 pm

I am trying to undo years of bodged wiring on my 1969 Elan Plus 2 Federal model 1758. Someone posted the correct wiring diagram on this forum which has been a great help. I’ve gotten (almost) everything to work but am curious about some wires up in the nose area that aren’t connected to anything. There are two wires taped together, a white/yellow and a red/black. They both have bullet ends. They are shown on the wiring diagram but aren’t attached to anything there either! There is also a single wire, brown with either blue or purple, hard to tell. This one has a male spade connector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin Kay
Redding California
Lotus Elan Plus 2 50/1758
kevinkay
New-tral

PostPost by: MaxDwellTime » Sun May 14, 2023 7:42 pm

Kevin?

I don't have a federal spec car but I do have a copy of a '68-'69 federal wiring diagram.

On my diagram, all the wires are numbered.

'12' is white/yellow, '13' is red/black and the ends of these two wires are shown but connected to nothing at the right-hand side of the diagram, between the headlamps and amongst a group of connectors which serve the headlamps. This seems to match what you describe.

On my diagram, there is a big group of connectors shown directly above the fan motor. These connectors, I think, are physically located behind the dashboard and they connect the dashboard wiring to the engine bay wiring and to the rear wiring. Amongst those connectors, there is a three-way connector which shows wires '12' and '13' and '20'. Wire '20' is through-connected (in on one side and out on the other) but wires '12' and '13' simply end at that connector.

It is my guess that wires '12' and '13' are included in the wiring harness to serve some item of equipment which was, maybe, an optional extra or was fitted to a higher specification model. I am thinking maybe spot lights or fog lights? It is not uncommon, in my experience, for a manufacturer to produce a single version of the wiring harness which includes wires for the higher specification models of the car and for optional extras.

I hope this helps.

I have no idea about the other wire which you mention but I note from my diagram that there are wires listed of the colour combinations which you describe. '25' brown/blue, '34' brown/purple.

'25' is connected to the ignition switch and the control box (the diagram is for a 'generator' scheme not an 'alternator' scheme).

'34' seems to be connected to 'PDW valve' (I don't know what that is), the big group of dashboard connecters (mentioned above) and something which I cannot read on my diagram but which is located amongst a group of items including 'hazard', 'park' and 'rear screen'.

Regards,
Bob.
MaxDwellTime
New-tral

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon May 15, 2023 2:48 pm

MaxDwellTime wrote:Kevin?

……'34' seems to be connected to 'PDW valve' (I don't know what that is), the big group of dashboard connecters (mentioned above) and something which I cannot read on my diagram but which is located amongst a group of items including 'hazard', 'park' and 'rear screen'.

Regards,
Bob.

The PDW is the Pressure Distribution Warning device. It is located under the hood left side by the pedal box. It moves an internal shuttle electrical switch deal if brake fluid pressure is lost in one of the two Federal brake circuits due to a leak. This lights up a warning light on the dash labeled “Fail” by grounding wire 34. Note the PDW is also grounded by a ring terminal on the mounting bolt.

There is also a test push button switch (called the Brake Test Sw on the Federal diagram). It is located on the driver’s side vinyl panel that covers up the heater outlet and wiring. Press this button to check that the Fail dash light is functional.

The Fail dash light is powered by Purple - Hot at All Times, Fused, so the test function should work with the key off. The hazard, park and rear screen items Bob refers to are the other three similar dash warning lights.

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ceej » Mon May 15, 2023 10:58 pm

MaxDwellTime wrote:Kevin?

I don't have a federal spec car but I do have a copy of a '68-'69 federal wiring diagram.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

If you could post the diagram it would be helpful. A month or so ago Bud English posted a diagram, dated as '67 - 68 RB106'. In going through it it was mostly similar to what I have (50/1762, a Federal not-really-early, not-really-S' car, RB106 dynamo car) except it was a positive earth diagram.

My reality is similar to Kevin's in that I have evidence of botched / hacked wiring, with the further complication of the wiring in the nose having been modified or is degenerated / destroyed. So I'm trying to get a hold of as many references as I can find to help with piecing it all back together.

Thanks!

Chris
Ceej
New-tral

PostPost by: kevinkay » Tue May 16, 2023 4:38 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for the help. Chris, the attachment below has been of great help with my Federal 1758. I doubt if I could ever have gotten my failsafe headlamps and sidelamps to work without it. I had the diagram blown up to 18” x 24” and laminated. It’s really hard to read otherwise.

Kevin
Attachments
Elan%20Plus%202%20Federal%20Wiring%20Diagram%20A 4.pdf
Elan Plus 2 Federal Wiring Diagram
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
Kevin Kay
Redding California
Lotus Elan Plus 2 50/1758
kevinkay
New-tral

PostPost by: Ceej » Tue May 16, 2023 11:15 pm

Thanks Kevin!

There is also a test push button switch (called the Brake Test Sw on the Federal diagram). It is located on the driver’s side vinyl panel that covers up the heater outlet and wiring. Press this button to check that the Fail dash light is functional.

So that's what that is! I've been curious, I'll have to add it to the list, somewhere nearer the bottom than the top though. Thanks Stu.:D

Cheers!
Ceej
New-tral

PostPost by: MaxDwellTime » Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 am

Gents,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The diagram to which I was referring is the same one as posted by Kevin.

Regards,
Bob.
MaxDwellTime
New-tral

Total Online: