Large "gash" in Floor!

PostPost by: EwanG » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:02 pm

Hi All,
I have just purchased a 1968 Lotus Elan Plus 2 for restoration and am generally making some good progress but also finding lots of mysteries. My first ever Lotus, almost as old as me, and making me smile (mostly when not bashing my knuckles)! She is mostly intact but it seems that the previous owner had started to partially disconnect a few items around the car. I don't think she has been on the road for since 1980 (according to DVLA)s! My first major phase of work is to reinstall things, identify missing parts, and to get her started for the first time. Anyway, when I tipped the drivers seat forward I discovered a large gash on the rear floor area (see attached photo). It looks like a perfect "cut" and is about 18-20 inches in length (front to back).

big gash.png and

I'm assuming that car has either scraped against something sharp at some point in the recent past (car transporter?) or that someone has deliberately cut a line. The fibreglass in the floor area all seems solid so does not look like the start of a repair. My plan is to do my first fibreglass repair with fresh matting but before I do I wanted to ask if anyone has seen this before and if there is any logical reason for someone to be cutting in this area? Thanks...
Lotus Elan Plus 2 1968 (Restoration - off road since 1980)
EwanG
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:41 am

My car had a split at the rear of the floorpan. There are few areas that are easier to repair as access is straightforward and the finished result is hidden. A great place to practice fibreglass repairs. I would start by cleaning off the underseal and the remains of felt on the inside.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EwanG » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:24 am

Thanks Mike. As you say, it seems like a great place to gain some experience - flat and accessible!
EwanG
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:38 am

Let's see some pictures Ewan!

..I'm 75% through a nut and bolt restoration of a '68 Plus 2 as well in case you need any advice.

Cheers

Jon

PS: I'm just down near Carlisle as well
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EwanG » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:22 am

Sounds great Jon - I am certain that I will need to continue to seek ongoing advice as there are parts missing and it is often quite difficult to visualise what the original set-up was. I have never seen a Plus 2 in the flesh, believe it or not. I literally have 100's of photos as I find it helpful to photograph each session at the garage to remember how things need to be reassembled. Here are 3-4 images showing delivery and some progress but if you share an email address I could send you a .pdf of progress so far since taking delivery at the end of Feb.

Day1.jpg and
EwanG
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: EwanG » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:24 am

3 in 1.png and
EwanG
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:22 pm

That line may have been scored by the bottom of the seat frame, probably one of the metal U clips that hold on the rubber diaphragm in the base of the seat. If it has all collapsed due to age/rust, which I have seen many times, when a person sitting in the seat slides it backwards and forwards by scooting you will gouge a line into the floor
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: EwanG » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:55 pm

Thanks LaikaTheDog - I will take a look under the seat to ensure that I address that root cause before treating the symptoms! I never imagined that the seat may be another job to add to the backlog :D
EwanG
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:12 pm

Welcome Ewan! Good to see another Plus 2 on the path back to roadworthy.

And I can relate: mine was the first one I'd ever seen too.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EwanG » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:05 pm

Thanks for the welcome The Veg! Yes, its fun going through the discovery process and I guess I'm discovering that each of these cars is truly a one-off (even if they were somewhat similar to start with) - which is a large part of the appeal!
EwanG
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:52 pm

EwanG wrote:Thanks for the welcome The Veg! Yes, its fun going through the discovery process and I guess I'm discovering that each of these cars is truly a one-off (even if they were somewhat similar to start with) - which is a large part of the appeal!

Absolutely! Between whichever widget the factory had in the parts-bin on the day your car was made, bodges done by previous owners, the ravages of time, etc., it's never a dull moment getting an old Lotus sorted! :mrgreen:

But once you're on the other side of most of the work, you'll find the result to be very well worth the effort.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: