Seat reclining mechanism

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:20 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the mechanism inside the late model plus 2 seats ? Mine refuse to recline and the operating lever at the side of the seat does very little in the way of movement. I guess the covers will need to come off but it would be nice to know what I'm dealing with first
Thanks Mike
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:44 pm

Hi - hopefully the photos below help. The seat is the same as on our +2 JPS so it's should be what you're looking for...

Basically the adjustment lever disengages a ratchet that allows the back of the seat to recline/move up. When you release the lever a spring re-engages the ratchet (a toothed quadrant) again stopping the movement. You will need to take some of the cover off to be able to fix the problem you've got, I'm guessing it's just got rusty/jammed and needs freeing off and some grease to keep it lubricated. One thing, beware the torsion spring (the one that sits horizontally along the base of the seat back in picture 2 and returns the seat back to an upright position) - it's fierce and you really wouldn't want to get your fingers in the way if you release the ratchet!
Attachments
IMG_2621.jpg and
IMG_2622.jpg and
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:53 pm

Thanks Craig, thats just what I needed
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike