Dashboard lamps and removing a gear knob

PostPost by: Richardsona39 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:06 pm

I've got a few niggling things on the interior ('71 Federal +2 S130) I'm trying to sort out, would appreciate any hard won experience from you all.

1. Dashboard parking lamp (for emergency/hand brake)
The amber parking lamp on the center console was working, now it's not. The car did just come back from having some work done, and while they did some stuff under the dash to fix the stuck fuel gauge, they didn't do anything in that specific area where the parking lamp is. I took out the ash try and pulled out the lamp and all seemed OK.

Maybe the bulb has gone? I couldn't figure out how to take the lens off to see what kind of bulb was inside - I tried twisting and tugging it in various ways, without luck. I haven't been able to find a spec on the bulb (I have the original shop parts book and work manual, neither seem to spec it other than giving a part #, which is 036M3060). It's item #22 in the drawing attached. Perhaps it's the whole unit that needs to be replaced in one go?

2. Map light
Similarly, we have no bulb in the map light. Not a high priority at all to fix that, but would be nice to have a bulb. Anyone know the spec on that?

3. Ball gear knob replacement
I'd like to get a wood knob to replace the bakelite type ball knob that's currently fitted (it lacks any gear markings or Lotus logo, so not sure if it's original or not). It appears to be just screwed on to the metal shaft, I don't see a retaining screw or locknut holding it. However, it's proving very difficult to unscrew. The lever shaft itself free spins - not sure if that's a worry in and of itself? I'm thinking I need to get a good hold of that shaft with some (padded) vice grips and see if I can loosen the ball. But I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has words of wisdom before I try applying more force...
Attachments
20230304_142021.jpg and
Parts diagram for parking brake lamp
20230304_120216 (1).jpg and
Gear knob
Richardsona39
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:24 pm

I have had shift knobs come unscrewed. For some reason they just wouldn't stay tight. I never did it, but one way to "fix it" would be to Loctite it. If that was done it could be very difficult to remove, probably have to crush the knob and then apply some heat to break the bond. That of course would be the worst situation.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:25 am

You need a jam nuhave the t screwed onto the shift lever below your knob. this is then adjusted to situate the knob where you want it and the jam nut then locked into the shift knob.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:32 pm

All the bulb details are listed in the Technical Data section of the Elan workshop manual .. your Plus 2 manual will probably list them too.
The handbrake warning lamp bulb holder pulls out from the rear of the assembly and it takes a miniature 2 Watt type 281 bulb.

PXL_20230305_114125061.jpg and
PXL_20230305_113959099.jpg and

Can't help with the map light I'm afraid.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:04 pm

Don’t the bulbs push in from the rear you don’t need to remove he lens from the dash.
Last edited by elanfan1 on Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:15 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Don’t the bobs push in from the rear you don’t need to remove he lens from the dash.

Quite right but you may find you push it out of the dash anyway when trying to push the bulb holder back in. The picture was just to show how it comes apart.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Richardsona39 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:17 am

Thanks all. With some vice grips I applied a little more force and voila the knob came loose :D

Thanks for the help on the bulb spec. I'd looked at the tech specs pages but managed to miss the bulb specs. Looks like there's a place here in the US that sells them so if that is the culprit I can get some.

The lamp module is wrapped in layers of electrical tape, I think to bulk it up so it's a tighter fit in the dashboard hole. I'll unwind that and see what I find.
Richardsona39
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: