Lotus +2 convertible

PostPost by: David Nogueira » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:27 am

Good Morning
Thanks so much for being on the lotus forum
I would like to know if anyone can help me? Do I need a Christopher neil conversion lotus elan +2 kit to change the roof to convertible?
thanks and sorry for the written english.
David Nogueira
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:53 am

And thank you David for joining.

If you are thinking of removing the roof from your +2, I would have a very careful think about making your car worthless. The CN and another company who's name escapes me, carried out those conversions 'in period' in the 1980's and possibly the 90's. Doing such a conversion today, by an individual such as yourself, would be a massive no no, in my opinion, and after carrying out such a conversion, I believe your car would be virtually unsaleable, should you ever wish to do so.

In answer to your question, CN conversion sets are not available now.

Why don't you post up some pictures of your car so we can see what it looks like as it stands.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:38 am

David
If you know the price of everything and the value of nothing , then follow Leslies advice , as it is sage , seeing as you are in Portugal , where the sun shines , follow your instinct and enjoy your Lotus.
I fitted a sunroof in mine , yes , It may have devalued it but the pleasure it brought me outweighed the monetary fall , the cabin was light and airy , the upper body structurally stronger.

It is your car, it is your choice....

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:32 am

If you want a convertible +2 contact PJS Sportscars. Paul services and restores all types of Lotus, (was a Lotus Authorised Service Centre till Lotus sacked them all recently) and recently completed an excellent convertible conversion for a friend.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:52 pm

I've owned 2 Plus 2 convertible's , one a Christopher Neil conversion and the other done via Banks Europa .
Both fantastic and had absolutely no issues when selling ie they sold straight away ,and at the time, 1990's and mid 2000's sold for more than a standard fixed head Plus 2 .
I'd have another tomorrow.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:25 pm

I converted one of my Plus 2s to a convertible and it transformed the car. Now it felt, smelled, sounded and drove like an acceptably overweight and more 'mature' Elan.

More sensory than the normal Plus 2 and as for the notion that it would render the car worthless - pish tosh.

If I ever go down the Plus 2 road again, the first thing I will do is find that Sawzall.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:52 pm

For me, one of the best features of the +2 is the aero, and wind from entering the cabin.
A sunroof, that opens up rather than back to pull the dead air out is what I would do.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus2cabby » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:58 pm

Good evening

I’m currently on my second plus 2 Cabby, I converted the first one myself , Using CN parts , unfortunately work life and children meant that once completed I had little time to enjoy so sold it !
I should really have mothballed it for 10 years.
Eventually managed to buy current car from friend who had owned it since 1983 , having CN convert it in mid 80’s

Pros and cons , in my opinion:-

For taller and perhaps older , now I am , it is not easy climbing into the plus 2 FHC or even when converted to DHC with the hood up.

With the hood down , as I drive mine it is much easier to get in and out off, yes there is more wind noise than in FHC form , but it is by no means excessive - a friend who owns a MGF , modern ,commented there is much less wind noise than his MG.

The plus 2 is a great car in both forms and in cabby form a much less costly way to gain soft top classic lotus experience

Regards
Mark

Similarly scuttle shake is evident, but no worse than a Triumph Spitfire
Plus2cabby
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:40 am

Plus2cabby wrote:
The plus 2 is a great car in both forms and in cabby form a much less costly way to gain soft top classic lotus experience

Regards
Mark

Similarly scuttle shake is evident, but no worse than a Triumph Spitfire

My first car was a '65 MG Midget (I don't count the '51 Ford Popular I owned for 3 weeks as a first car) I really enjoyed the top down thing, my first Lotus was an S2 Elan (DHC of course), I had a 964 Cab along the way and my last(?) Lotus was a '91 M100. Yes, it is obviously and only a convertible.

I like driving, top down (the car, not me!) 'tis a visceral thing and you either like it or not.

No scuttle shake in my conversion/perversion, I bunged in reinforcing metal bits etc where and as needed.

PS, my most recent project car, just bought, is a 1954 Sunbeam Talbot 90 Mk11A.

And yes, it is a convertible. :D :D :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: persimmon » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:48 pm

Can`t remember who said this ( might have been JC on TG ) , but I think its valid - if you`re going to buy a convertible , choose a car that was designed to be such from the start , not a " chop " .
I know beauty is a subjective thing , but IMHO , one of the big attractions of the +2 is the looks , chop the top off and it won`t look right , even with the best hood fitted .
persimmon
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi David,
If you want a +2 that has been converted to a ragtop i suggest you sell your +2.
The look for a +2 that was conerted by CN or HH or another professional which will keep it's value.
But even with them you will have some scuttle shake and pro lems with the Fuel Tank Breathers.
Even with my TVR 3000S which is much strong than a Lotus +2 there are rattles and scuttle shake.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:47 pm

alan.barker wrote:Hi David,
If you want a +2 that has been converted to a ragtop i suggest you sell your +2.
The look for a +2 that was conerted by CN or HH or another professional which will keep it's value.
But even with them you will have some scuttle shake and pro lems with the Fuel Tank Breathers.
Even with my TVR 3000S which is much strong than a Lotus +2 there are rattles and scuttle shake.
Alan

Scuttle shake can be reduced to the point of elimination if you add reinforcing pieces as and where needed, I certainly did not notice any appreciable shake when I did my conversion - after adding as mentioned.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:38 pm

Slowtus wrote:Scuttle shake can be reduced to the point of elimination if you add reinforcing pieces as and where needed, I certainly did not notice any appreciable shake when I did my conversion - after adding as mentioned.

Over the years on my fixed head +2S, I have reinforced and stiffened the brake box, the steering column, the front strut towers and the rear towers/sills. I have posted many drawings /pics on here

Very interested in learning more about "the reinforcing pieces as and where needed"

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 am

Foxie wrote:
Slowtus wrote:Scuttle shake can be reduced to the point of elimination if you add reinforcing pieces as and where needed, I certainly did not notice any appreciable shake when I did my conversion - after adding as mentioned.

Over the years on my fixed head +2S, I have reinforced and stiffened the brake box, the steering column, the front strut towers and the rear towers/sills. I have posted many drawings /pics on here

Very interested in learning more about "the reinforcing pieces as and where needed"

:)

It was MANY years ago but I followed the "logic" that since I had removed a piece which provided rigidity I needed to replace/enhance that rigidity. A piece was fabricated which went on top of where the front of the original roof had been, another piece was joined to THIS piece just under (and barely visible unless you were 2"4" tall) the dashboard.

I then tied THOSE pieces into other 'bits' which descended into and replaced the aluminium (foil?) crash thingies in the sill.

Since I never needed nor wanted an actual top for this car (I used a terrible made but serviceable tonneau) I whacked in a strut across the back and covered it in fiberglass more for looks than results.

It was a while ago, so...maybe my scuttle did shake but I truly never noticed.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:22 am

Two friends i have here in France have Elan +2 converted to ragtops.
They have Spyder Chassis so are a bit stiffer to help.
Also they both have never fixed the problem with the Fuel Tank Breathers and smell of Petrol.
Maybe they need a Fuel Tank like the Baby Elan.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: