1968 Super SE Weber Domestic, HC, D Cam, H designation

PostPost by: PedroLotusElanPlus2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Pedro here again. Had a bit of time on my hands while my no spark issue gets sorted after I ran out of steam with my diagnostic skills…
I’m looking for some more detail on the history of these modified engines.
Been reading Miles Wilkins mega book on the Lotus Twin-Cam and he refers to the subject engine as one that was installed in the Plus 2 “Press Cars” to give them roughly the same performance as the Elan in early 1968. Roughly an extra 20 BHP at the crank 2 years before the Big Valve. Mine was a kit and the Drivetrain didn’t come from Ford but Racing Engines Ltd. according to official Lotus records. Now I’ve done a search at Company House and can’t find this company. I don’t have the invoice for the drivetrain but know the number. The car kit was purchased from Ian Walker lotus main dealer in london of racing fame so wondering if there is a connection with his organisation at the time?
The rolling road Dyno from 2016 is quite impressive (bit of a understatement) 100.7 HP @ 5588 RPM and 101.8 LBf/FT @ 4792 RPM
So confirms around 125bhp at the crank. This was after the engine was refurbished
Any further history will be well received. I’ll go back to Andy Graham at the Lotus Archives also
Regards
Pedro
PedroLotusElanPlus2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: PedroLotusElanPlus2 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:09 am

Turns out that Racing Engines Ltd was there to provide a separate invoice for the drivetrain to conform to the criteria of the kit coming from 2 different companies to be 25% Purchase Tax exempt. Anyone have an actual invoice to share? Lotus archives only have the accounts ledger with the invoice numbers
PedroLotusElanPlus2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:31 pm

[attachment=3]0425G Sales Doc 8.jpg[/attachment]Pedro, we do know quite a bit about this already. Have a look at my website where you should find images of paperwork.

I have attached the two invoices for a Sprint, which used to belong to a friend of mine who sadly died several years ago. It gives you an idea of what was detailed on the invices by the factory.

Tim
Attachments
0425G Sales Doc 1.jpg and
0425G Sales Doc 2.jpg and
0425G Sales Doc 7.jpg and
0425G Sales Doc 8.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PedroLotusElanPlus2 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:30 pm

Tim

Some great documents so thanks for that. Will check out your website. What's the address
regards
Pedro
PedroLotusElanPlus2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:39 am

As below: Visit www.lotuselansprint.com

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PedroLotusElanPlus2 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi Tim
Thanks for that will check it out at the weekend.
I tried printing the Racing Engines Ltd attachment, but it has a portrait blank layer underneath the landscape invoice and so will only print a portrait cut off version and swapping to landscape makes it worse. Do you have a pdf? If not I can fiddle with it in Ai but bit of a novice with that software! First 2 documents are fine. 3 and 4 are different format
cheers Pedro
PedroLotusElanPlus2
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: