seats

PostPost by: davidj » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:17 pm

alanr wrote:Will the headrests on the MG seats enable the seat to be tipped at all for rear access?

Alan.

As the mgf runners are used in this installation, I assume the seats will not tilt. To get the seats to tilt to allow access to the rear seats I guess the +2 runners will have to be used.
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:08 am

davidj wrote:
alanr wrote:Will the headrests on the MG seats enable the seat to be tipped at all for rear access?

Alan.

As the mgf runners are used in this installation, I assume the seats will not tilt. To get the seats to tilt to allow access to the rear seats I guess the +2 runners will have to be used.

Most modern seats just tilt the seat backs rather than tilting the whole seat.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 am

"Thinking of changing the seats in my +2s 130/5, and have been offered a pair of Mazda MX-5 seats. Is this a straight forward swop?"

I have recently done this, albeit replacing my worn XJS seats that had, in turn, replaced my originals. So a lot of the tweaking to install had already been done.

There is a lot of info on the various ways to fit the newer seats above and on the forum.

Seats are VERY comfortable, but firm. I was worried that they may prove fatiguing after a while, but did a 600 mile round trip in the summer over a few days of mixed driving and was surprisingly fresh getting out of the car.

My 2c is that the MX5 seats raise you quite a lot in the car. My head now touches the ceiling in the car, driving position is less 'Elan sporty' and line of sight is slightly obstructed at top of screen. (I'm 185cm tall, so not overly tall).
I will probably need, at some stage, to remove some seat padding as the runners are as flat as possible.
See this post on a TR forum: http://www.74tr6.com/miataseats.htm

Seats do look 'right' though.

Best of luck,
Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:59 pm

Fiat X1/9 seats fit well. Very comfortable and the back rest has a release button on the back that allows it to tilt forward.
For example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-X19-X1- ... 890.l49292
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:42 pm

Maybe I am missing something...
It is all very well buying alternative seats and altering them to fit but you will still end up having them recovered/reupholstered to match the rest of your cars interior which can still be really expensive both to match and get the correct vynil material.
I understand if your seat frames are in bad shape but otherwise why not just have the original Lotus seating re-upholstered and be done with it ?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:11 pm

I concur with you Alan, totally!

However in my case, I am in a weird situation where I feel uncomforatble in seats without a headrest! Much the same as I feel something is out of kilter when I drive without a seatbelt, such is the safety angle that has been drummed into us!

To keep things as Lotus as possible, I looked into Federal seats, but could not get to grips with the price of a grand a piece just for the frames and heaven only knows what to pad an recover them without any patterns!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:53 pm

HCA wrote:However in my case, I am in a weird situation where I feel uncomforatble in seats without a headrest! Much the same as I feel something is out of kilter when I drive without a seatbelt, such is the safety angle that has been drummed into us!

I'm the same way, at least about safety belts. My dad worked at a highway safety research institute for six years, and my brother and I were born during that time. We had vehicular safety drilled-into us so well in childhood that it became part of our nature.

But to make the issue with head restraints murkier, the Federal seats are only much good in this regard if you are not tall. I'm 6'4" and they only come up to about the boundary between my shoulders and neck. Maybe slightly better than having nothing, but not something I'd absolutely count on to prevent whiplash in a rea-end collision.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Glenn M » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Has anyone tried seats out of a later Triumph Spitfire or TR7/8?
When I had those cars the seats were mounted low to the floor.

Cheers,
Glenn
69 Lotus Elan Plus 2
74 Alfa Romeo GTV
71 Triumph Stag
Glenn M
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:09 pm

I think the +2S130 seats runner are from some form of triumph. or look very much like them. So those seat might be a direct bolt in.

I think there also kits of fitting MX5 seats into triumph that might also work with +2.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: