Retrofitting my plus 2 S130

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Hello all (I am sorry to post so many topics), I am going to make my plus 2 S 130 body shell look that that of the earlier cars (as I prefer them). I would therefore like to know if you can get an under bumper section to remove the fitting for the spot lights. My next question is, does anyone have a pair of carello break lights? I would really like a pair so if anyone wants to sell some, let me know.
I am very sorry for posting so much but I am new to the plus 2 world and want as much help as possible.
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
1965 Elan S2 (Early 26R replica)
2001 Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Car
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Elan Peter wrote:(I am sorry to post so many topics)

Watch out, some curmudgeonly fellow will post a thinly veiled rant at you and sign off with a "I'm never coming here again" type message - good riddance. :lol:

Yes, it happened to me. My excuse was enthusiasm for the car and I did not and will not make any apology for that. You keep posting mate.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Jon B, if only they were all like you. I do my best to get as much out of the site as possible, hence why I have post about 10 post over the past 5 days :lol:
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:59 pm

JonB wrote:
Elan Peter wrote:(I am sorry to post so many topics)

Watch out, some curmudgeonly fellow will post a thinly veiled rant at you and sign off with a "I'm never coming here again" type message - good riddance. :lol:

Yes, it happened to me. My excuse was enthusiasm for the car and I did not and will not make any apology for that. You keep posting mate.

You little Rebel you! :)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Elan Peter wrote:My next question is, does anyone have a pair of carello break lights?

Reproduction tail lamp lenses for early Giulia are available but the complete lamp assembly might be more difficult. I was just looking at photos of the Carrello lenses and they appear to have a bit less curvature on the outboard face than do the Lucas units. If Lotus changed the body shell with adoption of the Lucas lamps then the Carrellos might not fit very well.

Ron Hickman's original concept was to use round tail lamps on the +2. He abandoned that idea when he realized he might be accused of copying Ferrari. He told me he followed a Giulia into a roundabout on his way to work one morning and the proverbial light went on. I don't know how many Lotus made with the Carrello lamps, I think very few.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 pm

A friend actually found these, https://classicalfa.com/lt068-1-complet ... N6xs2YHoVc
When you realise that the price is just for one, it is daunting :shock:
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi Peter
I've got one complete Carlelolo rear light unit and one without lens plus a non standard lens - pm me if you are interested.
Matt
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Matt I am very interested, however, I have no funds at the moment. IF you still have them once I have finished my 26R project, I will PM you.
Thank you very much.
Best regards, Peter
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi Peter - they are not going anywhere soon - I bought them some years ago and they are pictured in my book on the Elan(off the car just to show what they are like. I'll put them to one side for you, get in touch when you're ready. They will be cheap anyway to an enthusiast.
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Matt, you are a star! Thank you so much.
Could you please PM me your e-mail? I can't reply to PMs so I would have to contact you via e-mail instead.
Best regards, Peter
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Peter - you have incoming!
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Thank you very much Matt.
I'll be in touch.
Best regards, Peter
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Quart Meg Miles, you sent me a PM, unfortunately I am unable to reply via PM so I am sending my reply via this forum.
You are, of course right. Turning an original car into something different would be wrong. However, this car is not original.
The car was advertised on this forum several months ago, I bought it from a very kind gentleman who let me have it for a very nice price. Unfortunately, there is very little left of the car, I only really have a chassis and all of the body panels (as well as ID) and the chassis is in awful condition by my standards (now understanding how it has been messed with).
I have therefore decided to turn this car into the perfect car for me. It will be luxurious, have plenty of power and most importantly, be fun to drive.
Belive me, if you knew what engine I was going to put in it, your concern would only worsen and therefore I only suggest, if you are brave enough to hear me out without killing me, I will let you know what I plan to do.
I respect your opinion that my intentions are perhaps not the best as far as originality goes, but then again, I was the only person who replied to the ad so it's not as if the car was in high demand.
I hope that clears it up and I do apologise if I sound a little strong but I have been waiting for a project like this for ages and now that one has come along, now I have found one and got one, it will be done to my standards and I can assure you that it will be lovely :D

Could anyone who knows this person please help them find this message?
Best regards, Peter
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:18 pm

...And now the restoration begins. Doing the little things I can while I wait for some funding. I sarted by cleaning the mouldy old sun visors (see the before and after shots). The next thing was to put the bonnet and boot on and then finally I began to dismantle the dashboard.
Best regards, Peter
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_588.jpeg and
After
img_4597.jpg and
Before
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear