Plus 2 values on the increase?

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-2-1968-Barn-garage-find-Just-33k-miles-from-new-One-Owner/273662401737?hash=item3fb78cdcc9:g:GBUAAOSwyPFcGS-6

Just came across an early Plus 2 on eBay. It?s a ?barn find? that hasn?t been on the road for 37 years. Looks to be in need of a fair bit of attention. Described as a restoration project. It?s ?15k!

There are also some important bits of trim missing, and I can?t help wondering whether those items have been donated to other cars in the photos? Or just kept to be sold separately?

Now I think these are great cars, that in comparison with their baby brothers have been significantly (and incorrectly!) undervalued and overlooked for years. But...... Am I missing something, or do I need to be increasing my insurance cover? :shock:
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:50 am

EPC 394J wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-2-1968-Barn-garage-find-Just-33k-miles-from-new-One-Owner/273662401737?hash=item3fb78cdcc9:g:GBUAAOSwyPFcGS-6

Just came across an early Plus 2 on eBay. It?s a ?barn find? that hasn?t been on the road for 37 years. Looks to be in need of a fair bit of attention. Described as a restoration project. It?s ?15k!

There are also some important bits of trim missing, and I can?t help wondering whether those items have been donated to other cars in the photos? Or just kept to be sold separately?

Now I think these are great cars, that in comparison with their baby brothers have been significantly (and incorrectly!) undervalued and overlooked for years. But...... Am I missing something, or do I need to be increasing my insurance cover? :shock:

There are people out there who skulk, harvest, gather and somehow appropriate these cars - then they offer up their hibernated trophies - based on what the CURRENT market is allegedly saying these dusty and musty trophies are worth, regardless of what theypaid for the car.

Did it myself for a time....

That said, I see, as I always have, the Plus 2 as being equal - eventually - in value to the Elan.

Yes, I have owned both, no, I do not see me owning another.

But if I did...it would be a Plus 2.

Not this one though... :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:51 am

He's raising money to buy those split window, VW buses he's looking for. See his other items. :roll:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:25 am

You seem to forget that he's a "second-hand car dealer"....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 am

From a brief look, this seems an interesting fairly complete project, a full body off project.

UK Sportscars have been going for some time and seem to know what they are upto.

I think if I had the time and money to tackle another Elan project, an early +2 would be my choice.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:19 am

Frogelan wrote:UK Sportscars have been going for some time and seem to know what they are upto.

:lol:

if the calipers are an indication of the underside then it'll need a new chassis.......
Id think Id been over charged if I had to pay half of his asking price........
I can see over ?10k's worth of work.......and then more if the chassis needs renewing.....

and I wouldn't touch anything that UKSportscars are selling........ :oops:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 am

At least you get a free dog lead..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 am

yeah i'd say they would struggle to get anywhere near that asking price :shock:
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am

It looks like a nice project, and burnt sand too!

Been raped for it's original steering wheel however. I like it and agree that an early plus 2 would be nice to have, but it's a 9k car at best.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:37 am

"Been raped for it's original steering wheel "

...and the rest....

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Frogelan wrote:UK Sportscars have been going for some time and seem to know what they are upto.

They certainly do!

theelanman wrote:and I wouldn't touch anything that UKSportscars are selling.

Plus 1 to that. Been there twice to see cars described as something special.
Mr Clugston writes great copy.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Been to Court with him once.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Looking at his website there are a growing number of non-sportscars so maybe we will see a change in company name that more fits the bill. As their cars take a long time to shift that would suggest they are overpriced along with the Burnt Sand Lotus. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:16 am

Yes, a few of their cars have been up for sale for some time...

As far as the OP's question should he reappraise his insurance valuation then I would suggest yes. regardless of its actual market worth, mine has gone up by a couple of thousand every two years when I have it valued. This is not necessarily a reflection of what I could get if I sold it, more a result of what it would cost to fix it if i bent it. The last Plus 2 I had was written off as, I assume, the quote to the insurer was way in excess of the 7k it was valued at at the time...

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: persimmon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:18 am

There was a superb +2 for sale a few months ago on one of the popular sites.It looked to be perfect in every detail.Restored a few years ago and low miles since.
I guess it went for around ? 22 k.
A much better bet than spending huge amounts on a " barn find " car.
persimmon
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: