Will have to do that too! :D
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:51 pm

Veg, for the 'ultimate' wiper mod, I posted this item a while ago. Don't think anyone else installed one, but I really like it. We get a lot of small cloud burst rain showers in the Rockies, so I actually use the feature quite a bit.

Come to think of it, I better put a note in the owner's manual, as it would certainly drive a new owner crazy if they did not know about the 'feature'.

elan-mods-f31/smartscreen-intermittent-wipers-review-t25502.html
We

Looking back on the old post I complained about a wet June. This July was the wettest since 1927. We always say here "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes!".

Cheers!

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for the tip Stu! Thanks to modern cars I do like intermittent wipers, in fact I wish my Mazda had a good intermittent setting instead of the automatic setting that sometimes loses its mind! Anyway, I'll definitely look into this too!
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi,
Apart from cleaning and replacing wiring etc the easiest way to improve the wipers on the plus two is to change to the 29 watt motor - standard is 16.
I have done this on my S4 but not a straight swap compared to Plus 2

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:27 pm

patrics wrote:Hi,
Apart from cleaning and replacing wiring etc the easiest way to improve the wipers on the plus two is to change to the 29 watt motor - standard is 16.
I have done this on my S4 but not a straight swap compared to Plus 2

Regards
Steve

Details?
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi,
This the 29watt version you find them on Excel, Rolls Royce and no doubt loads of others - this one is a new one off eBay - they are or certainly used be cheap,
Regards
Steve
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:19 pm

I fitted a 29w motor on my plus 2 about 4 years ago and it has been a big improvement over the original 14w.The PO had reduced the pressure on the passenger blade so much that it was useless and I was never very impressed with the 14w performance.
I purchased a 29w that had been fitted to an XJ6 (I think from the early 70's) just to see if it would fit.
The physical mounting of the 29w was very simple and the wiring into the motor is the same.
The issues that have to be addressed are:

1/ The wiper sweep is much greater on the 29w and from memory I think the drive gear has 170 stamped on it rather than the 110 on the 14w .

2/ The 29w motor parks by reversing the motor and the drive arm is on an eccentric that lengthens the stroke when the motor is reversed which parks the wipers lower down the screen. If you fit a 29w as a straight swap it will operate (Don't do this without removing your wiper blades first) but the motor won't stop when you switch them off because it has to be reversed for the park switch to engage.

There may be other versions of this motor as I understand that it was fitted to several types of car.

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi,
From what I remember the parking is similar - can take pictures, I think all I did was turn the metal pivot plate through 180 deg relative to the plastic gear so that it parked on the correct side for my car.
On my S4 I repositioned the pin to give correct wiping arc but I am pretty sure if you have the original gear from the 16 watt then you can just swop it over
I'm sure I have a couple of these but anyway I had a loads of pivots made so that I could change the wiping arc

Ed is right in that they were fitted to the jaguar XJ's so that must be the most abundant source.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:11 pm

patrics wrote:Hi,
From what I remember the parking is similar - can take pictures, I think all I did was turn the metal pivot plate through 180 deg relative to the plastic gear so that it parked on the correct side for my car.
On my S4 I repositioned the pin to give correct wiping arc but I am pretty sure if you have the original gear from the 16 watt then you can just swop it over
I'm sure I have a couple of these but anyway I had a loads of pivots made so that I could change the wiping arc

Ed is right in that they were fitted to the jaguar XJ's so that must be the most abundant source.

Regards
Steve

That's interesting, there is no way the original gear is interchangeable with my original 14w item and I actually purchased a new spare 29w gear wheel and arm which is identical to the one on my motor except the pitch of the gears is different and it therefore wouldn't be of use other than by using some of the individual parts which would fit.
There is another motor the 16w which was fitted to triumph Stags and I found a Document describing its operation and my 29w behaves in exactly the same way , I never found any documentation on the 29w.
The parking switch on my motor is completely different to the original.
There may be several variations of the 29w.

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi Ed,
No the swoping of gears from my comment only applies to the 16 watt not the 14.
On mine to get 110 deg I used a 16 watt gear, ground off the pin, re-drilled for 110deg
Only used 16 watt gear because I had a 16 watt assembly but then had 29watt assembly so just changed it over
It has been a long time so need to pull out the bag of bits to re familiarise my self.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Well, just seen all the new posts on the thread, I was coming back to give my update but didn't realise there had been further posts!

I went through it all today, after previously attempting to lubricate the wiper wheel boxes from outside which may not have had any impact.

Today I......

*Checked and secured all electrical connections
*Removed motor, disassembled, removed old grease, re-lubed and reassembled.
*Attempted to squirt some lubricant down the tube that the wiper cable runs in.

All the above has certainly made an improvement however it's still not perfect.

The issue was quite clear when I disassembled the motor. The shaft of the gear wheel is extremely scored and damaged.

I see replacement gear wheels are quite easy to come by and I assume 110deg is standard for the +2.

Isn't there a bearing that the shaft spins in? It looked like a bearing and if the shaft is damaged then im sure the bearing is too but I haven't managed to find any online.

Having read the most recent posts the 29w motor upgrade sounds like a great idea but I'm not sure I understand what is required to modify it for +2 use.

If anyone can offer info on modding the 29w or alternatively replacing bearings on the 14w then I would be very interested to hear.

Thanks,

Gavin
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Not sure if your motor is the same as mine, as fitted on a 1968 +2.

But these are photos I took when I stripped and refurbished it.
resized-wiper-motor.jpg and

resize-2.jpg and

resize-3.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:30 pm

TeeJay, mine looks similar in most respects but the parking switch arrangement is totally different. Is that a 29w?
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:49 pm

I assume from rereading your post that this is the motor originally installed on your +2.

Here is my parking switch, looks totally different to yours.
db_file_img_971_800x800.jpg and

Below in blue is the bearing I was looking to replace and the shaft that goes in is red
screenshot_20160919-2140112.png and

For anyone interested here is a good webpage for the 14w
http://www.barnblinker.com/2016/02/21/l ... er-system/
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:04 pm

gavk, yes my motor is as originally fitted to the car.

If I understand correctly it?s dated 10 -1967 and to add more confusion it?s a 12W.
wiper-motor.jpg and

As to its electrical connection, it uses the same 4 pin block. This is as detailed in your link above.
The motor is fitted to the body, but I have taken a photo looking underneath at the connections.
wiper-motor-connection.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: