Has anyone come accross........

PostPost by: bdthompson » Mon May 12, 2014 3:44 pm

A company called Domus Designs Ltd? They bought approx 6 +2's from chassis no's 500396 upwards........ Strange question I know but I am trying to build a history on my car!! Reg No...... RMP 31F

Owner 1 -- Date of reg 01/03/1968 --- Domus designs......
Owner 2 -- Owner change date 01/03/1968 -- Ross Walter...... NB same date!!
Owner 3 -- Owner change date 12/07/1980 -- Christopher Turner
Trade sale - to me - Owner 4 05/05/2014.......................

Now I know who I am - I should be able to get hold of Mr Turner, its the first bit that confuses me a bit!!

If anyone has any bright ideas - yes I have google the company and individual...... no joy - please let me know!!

Because it was one of the very first ones we don't know what colour it is either...... Mr Graham at Lotus has had a look for me but no go really!!

Its a long shot really but, thanks guys for the help!!!!
bdthompson
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Mon May 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Domus is a latin word for a house.

A prestigious town house, so my guess it would be a fancy firm of architects.

I wish I could have worked for a firm that gave a Lotus for a company car!

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Mon May 12, 2014 6:01 pm

One of my Lotus cars was registered RMP 22F on 25th September 1967 --- over five months before RMP 31F. Only nine registrations in twenty two weeks seems odd.
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bdthompson » Tue May 13, 2014 8:18 am

John Larkin wrote:One of my Lotus cars was registered RMP 22F on 25th September 1967 --- over five months before RMP 31F. Only nine registrations in twenty two weeks seems odd.

According to lotus my end build date was the 22 Feb!!

I know what you mean though............
bdthompson
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:21 am

probably not much help to you but your car was registered in (MP) = Manchester & Merseyside so maybe a clue as to area. Have you also applied to DVLA for photocopies of the original logbook? You might be lucky if the local council hasn't destroyed its original registration records - it might show something different to what the DVLA have??

Steve
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Tue May 13, 2014 12:59 pm

The local registration index mark "MP" (and the three letter variation "nMP" where "n" is another letter) was used for London (North-East) from 1965 to 2001, before which I believe it was used for Middlesex. Since 2001 it has been used as the two letter area identifier for Manchester and Merseyside.
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bdthompson » Tue May 13, 2014 1:15 pm

John Larkin wrote:The local registration index mark "MP" (and the three letter variation "nMP" where "n" is another letter) was used for London (North-East) from 1965 to 2001, before which I believe it was used for Middlesex. Since 2001 it has been used as the two letter area identifier for Manchester and Merseyside.

Thanks for that gents...... I was getting a little worried as all the info I had was for the London area rather manchester!!

The synopsis seems to be that the car was bought by Domus and reg'd to them - then asap afterwards transferred out of the business into an individuals name - in fact on the reg'd date........ an aged tax avoidance/company car purchase thing? then sold on in 1980 to owner number "2" or formally on the V5 no 3.

For your info there is no early +2 data for colour codes etc with Andy at Lotus so an original colour choice it is........ do we have any objections to Cirrus White?
bdthompson
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Tue May 13, 2014 1:43 pm

For your info there is no early +2 data for colour codes etc with Andy at Lotus so an original colour choice it is........ do we have any objections to Cirrus White?[/quote]

Did the Lotus Data Plate on the +2 not have a Paint Colour Code like the S4 Elan ??
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bdthompson » Tue May 13, 2014 2:01 pm

I am not sure I have seen one to the honest - found the tub number and the engine number - nothing else of any real interest to note....... have I been blind and not seen it? where is it? Tell me - tell me!!!! (not that I am getting too excitable!!!)
bdthompson
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Tue May 13, 2014 2:32 pm

bdthompson wrote:I am not sure I have seen one to the honest - found the tub number and the engine number - nothing else of any real interest to note....... have I been blind and not seen it? where is it? Tell me - tell me!!!! (not that I am getting too excitable!!!)

On my S4 the Lotus Data Plate is Etched along the Bottom Line "L07" this being Lotus Yellow and was the colour my car left the factory painted in 1969
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:30 am

[quote="bdthompson]For your info there is no early +2 data for colour codes etc with Andy at Lotus so an original colour choice it is........ do we have any objections to Cirrus White?[/quote]

Not quite true. The colours available for the +2 from launch until late 1972 were the same as available for the Elan.

A full table of all Elan and +2 colours and equivalents, where known, is via the link in the second para on this page here: http://www.lotuselansprint.com/index.asp?pageid=41827

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:51 pm

John Larkin wrote:One of my Lotus cars was registered RMP 22F on 25th September 1967 --- over five months before RMP 31F. Only nine registrations in twenty two weeks seems odd.

I assume the car was originally registered with a different registration plate that was subsequently transfered off the car. At that point the DVLA would have pulled out a reg that matched the age of the car.

My 1968 Elan +2 was originally registered URS 309 .. the plate was transffered off the car by a prev owner in 2002, at that point the DVLA assigned a suitible alternative plate that was representative of the yr of production ... KSP 75F.

The same is true of a 1968 Vepsa I own. It was restored and registered with the DVLA, at that point it was assigned new plate ('F' plate'). I have seen plate within that 'block' of plates assigned to a Porsche 912. My Vepsa is NDV 219F, I believe NDV 217F is a 1968 912.

Dont know if this is the case for sure for your car ... but would seem to make sense?

Congestion Charge London provide a handy tool for checking registration numbers ...

Ralph
1968 Lotus Elan +2 (Saturn Silver / Black)
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Apologies for stirring up an old thread but that's what occurs when you use the search function to see if your own vehicle has a site history :D

My S3 SE DHC was manufactured / supplied in Jan & registered on 23rd Feb 68. The car and power train was invoiced to an MC Woods & the dealer was Purley performance cars in Surrey.
The reg is RMP 29F.

I have most of the original V5 or copies for my car but was thinking about checking with DVLA for any gaps.

Given the previous info of two other RMP reg mentioned being very close to my own I did a quick scan of mot and tax data base and several Lotus and one Marcos are listed with sequential or near sequential numbers.
Not sure how it was back in the 60's but dealers quite often end up with close registrations so my guess would be that most of not all went through the same supplier between Aug 67 and end of July 68. (Old vehicle tax year)

Checks on the internet relating to Purley performance give a possible link to the early days of Bell & Colville but not sure as to the validity of this.

Looking to trace some previous owners of mine but that may be something for the dark winter nights when the garage is less appealing...

Again apologies for dredging up the past.

Regards

Mel
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: