Lotus Elan

+2 Under way! And some good luck ...

PostPost by: JGeezer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:41 pm

We are apart and starting the serious stuff:

Image

It looks like I really lucked out, and got one of the meaty "rare and desirable" 701M blocks:

Image

at least according to

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/library/block/blocks.htm

Anybody out there have a parts Stromberg that they might want to deal for a temperature compensator cover?

Image

Thanks!

JGeezer
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
(Past MGA, MGB, TR6, AH 3000 BJ8, XR4ti, BMW E39 540i/6, Lola T644 ... )
User avatar
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 189
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Location: Winchester, Virginia USA GMT-5

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:13 pm

JGeezer wrote:Anybody out there have a parts Stromberg that they might want to deal for a temperature compensator cover?


If you have no luck finding a used cover new ones are available here......http://www.sucarb.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 1&id=32164
and maybe also here......http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/Stromberg.htm
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Location: Dorset UK

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Hello Mr Geezer
Interested in the 701M block and I'm trying to figure out where they were used. I have one in my Escort twincam, as indicated by the document to which you refer. But I think that they may have been used more widely. Does your block have a blanked-off hole at the rear / right side, where the Escort would have its dipstick?

Mark
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

PostPost by: JGeezer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

oldelanman wrote:
JGeezer wrote:Anybody out there have a parts Stromberg that they might want to deal for a temperature compensator cover?


If you have no luck finding a used cover new ones are available here......http://www.sucarb.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 1&id=32164
and maybe also here......http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/Stromberg.htm


Thank you! I had only seen listings for a whole new compensator (at Bean, R.D, ... for > $70) and didn't know you could just buy a new cover. Great!
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
(Past MGA, MGB, TR6, AH 3000 BJ8, XR4ti, BMW E39 540i/6, Lola T644 ... )
User avatar
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 189
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Location: Winchester, Virginia USA GMT-5

PostPost by: JGeezer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:30 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Hello Mr Geezer
Interested in the 701M block and I'm trying to figure out where they were used. I have one in my Escort twincam, as indicated by the document to which you refer. But I think that they may have been used more widely. Does your block have a blanked-off hole at the rear / right side, where the Escort would have its dipstick?

Mark


Could be! Is this suspicious looking bit what you mean? (Looking down, above the starter):

Image
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
(Past MGA, MGB, TR6, AH 3000 BJ8, XR4ti, BMW E39 540i/6, Lola T644 ... )
User avatar
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 189
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Location: Winchester, Virginia USA GMT-5

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 am

My 701 Block also has this. Just because its a 701 block doesn't mean its immune from failure though - My number 2 Cylinder burst for no apparant reason..........running a replacement 681 now !
Attachments
IMG_1323.JPG and
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 11 Jul 2004
Location: Kent

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Yes, that's the blanked off hole for the dipstick tube for the Escort. I don't know of any other block that seems to have these as 'standard', but it certainly looks like the 701M block was used in cars other than the Escort. Maybe they just made too many, or they had some left over when the Escort Twincam was discontinued in favour of the BDA engined Escort in mid 1970.

Thanks for putting the pictures up.

Mark
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: Slowtus and 7 guests