Little Bubbles!

PostPost by: jonnyconcrete » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:04 am

Having finally, after 2 months, manged to stop all of the leaks on my engine and got it running like Japanese sewing machine...I decided to give the engine bay a good scrub and degrease. Having gunked it and swilled it all down there were pools of water surrounding the spark plugs. I started the engine so the heat would dry everything out and noticed a steady stream of bubbles (only very tiny) in the water pools for number 1 & 3.

When it was dry, I whipped out the plugs...it appears that number 1 & 3 have helicoils! I tightened the plugs back down...1 & 3 as tight as I dared, added water and re-tested. Bubbles still there, is this tiny loss of compression normal with helicoils?

I was considering fitting new plugs with new crush washers and re-testing...
jonnyconcrete
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:09 am

jonnyconcrete wrote:Having finally, after 2 months, manged to stop all of the leaks on my engine and got it running like Japanese sewing machine...I decided to give the engine bay a good scrub and degrease. Having gunked it and swilled it all down there were pools of water surrounding the spark plugs. I started the engine so the heat would dry everything out and noticed a steady stream of bubbles (only very tiny) in the water pools for number 1 & 3.

When it was dry, I whipped out the plugs...it appears that number 1 & 3 have helicoils! I tightened the plugs back down...1 & 3 as tight as I dared, added water and re-tested. Bubbles still there, is this tiny loss of compression normal with helicoils?

I was considering fitting new plugs with new crush washers and re-testing...

It is highly likely that gases are escaping around the outside of those Helicoils & that the crush Washers are not large enough to cover the outside diameter of them.
IMHO Helicoils should not be used as a repair for Spark Plug Holes as it is impossible to make them leakproof.
Provided there is enough Material the Plug Hole should be prepared for a solid threaded Insert then the Cylinder Head with fitted Insert should be spotfaced to provide a flat sealing surface for the Crush Washer.
You may get away with fitting new Plugs; certainly worth a try when the rework on the Head will mean a Head off job & a suitable repair in a properly equipped Machine Shop.

Good luck!
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi,

I have used helicoils on many cylinders over the years,mainly jap bike engines.Never found them to be a problem.I expect many engines if tested for air leaks in this way would also be found to leak...dont worry about it.

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: