Once again Lotus owner

PostPost by: forfenderjazz » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:59 am

Hi all, just bought a 69 Plus 2 in parts. I had a 67 S/E Coupe that I loved but had to sell to finish college. Now 15 years later I am back with a Lotus in the garage. Are there any interesting engine/transmission swaps out there before I get into the expense (I remember well) of big valve twin cams? I guess what I'm saying is that I am not planning a strictly original restoration. Thanks, Roy
forfenderjazz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:07 am

Hi Roy

Welcome back to the fold. Look up "Zetec". There is a fair amount of discussion on the subject.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:02 am

Roy
The main engine swops are BDA, Crossflow and Zetec.
Have you seen:- http://www.spydercars.co.uk
Everything you could possibly want to know about Zetecs in Elans

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:21 am

Buy a Toyata
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:32 am

Depends what you want from the car really and how much you want to spend. Having converted my own Plus 2 I would say that, assuming that you already have a Spyder chassis that you could modify, you could put a Zetec plus fuel injection into your car for around ?3k which would give you a reliable 170bhp - although the torque is likely to show up any deficiencies in the driveline.

The BDA, Crossflow and Zetec routes are all fairly well documented - if you want something different how about a bike engine? Fantastic for the track I would imagine - has anyone fitted one?

Whatever you do you'll upset the 'purists', which is of course an added bonus..
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:59 pm

Good to know I am not the only philistine who thinks about motor bike engines in Elans.
I must confess that when everyone was talking Zetecs I was thinking a bike engine was a much better option (if possible).
I know of a few Caterham/Westfield 7 replicas with bike engines and the figures quoted are 150bhp+ from an engine and gearbox assembly that weighs about the same as the car gearbox. So straight away you are saving the weight of a car engine and you can even have a six speed gearbox.
Now thats how you really upset the purists.

Cliveyboy
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:24 pm

Saw an Elan today fitted with a 2 litre Vauxhall (that's Opel/GM) which had been de-tuned from 290 BHP! Brakes, etc. to match.

:lol: :oops:

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:52 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bike engine yes.,, maybe for the track., but isn't the bottom end torque ridicilous for normal use, no matter what you do? Poor clutch...
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:20 pm

Not sure about the poor clutch but I think that you're right in that the power band comes in quite high up the rev range. Not a problem on the track - particularly with a 6 speed sequential gearbox as part of the package - but you probably wouldn't want to commute in one every day.

Read an article about a Hayabusa engined Mini that reputedly does 0-60 in under 4 seconds though so an Elan would really fly!
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:13 am

...as a "purist" with two original Elans, I think the bike engine idea is just what the cast iron Elan could use, six speeds, maybe seven with an alloy engine screaming it along. Torque? Keep it revvved...
Just don't ruin an original specimen.....
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: