New owner / chassis number

PostPost by: inxs » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:16 pm

Hi,
I took the plunge and bought a 2+2. Picked it up last weekend and drove 800km, from Melbourne to Adelaide (Australia)
It is a genuine 59,000 miles from 1969 and has been of the road for the last 16 years.
I cant seem to locate the chasis number and only have the engine number and a number on the body in the engine bay.
Can some one help on the chassis number?
Regards Darren
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:28 pm

The chassis number should be located on a plate just inside the bonnet on the front inner wing (on the exhaust side of the engine). It should be a silver plate about 5inchs x 3inches, and should include engine number, chassis number and oil types.

The chassis number should start with 50/ and then 4 number. If the plates not there then you could try contacting Lotus and give them the engine number - from this they should be able to tell you the chassis number - assuming its the original engine.

Good luck

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: inxs » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:50 pm

Thanks Dave, there is a spot on the chassis that has a couple of pop rivets where the number was. I will send the info of to Lotus and see what they can find. The motor is original so that should help.
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:27 am

Darren

There is no separate chassis number from the number on the plate pop riveted on the body in the engine bay .

If the car was registered in Victoria the chassis number as well as the engine number should be on the registration documents you should have got with the car when you purchased it. Alternatively the Lotus Club of Victoria or Club Lotus Australia may have some information on the car if its been around a while and you have some knowledge of previous owners. Finally Steve Taylor at the Elan Factory knows many of the Lotus's in Victoria and may have some knowledge of the car and possibly its chassis number. If your missing the chassis number plate that pop rivets onto the body Steve can supply new replicas.

Have you joined the South Australian Branch of CLA in South Australia ? A great bunch of guys and invaluable source of knowledge!

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: inxs » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:22 pm

Thanks Rohan,
I spoke to Mike Bennet tonite from CLA in SA, he was great to talk too. Will see them at the next club run. My car has to go through rego check so I may not be able to take the 2+2 (speedo not working).
I will give the guys from the elan factory a call and get the replacement plate.
I am rather keen to get the car on the road!!!!!.

I have all the rego papers and 1989 was the last time it was registered and only had the engine number on the form.

Cheers Darren
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: