First post: +2 in Melbourne Australia

PostPost by: athman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:00 am

Hi
I've been browsing this extremely useful forum for a while and thought I'd say hello. I've had an Elan +2 for 20 years now, but it has spent the last 14 years in the shed. The last time I drove it was to take my wife to hospital to deliver our first child. Our son is 14 years old now and is showing some mechanical inclination, so its time to get the Elan out as a project car. The body is now off and we're starting on the drivetrain. There's nothing particularly wrong with the car, except needing a fresh paint job, but I'll upgrade various components to make it suitable for modern road use and club competition (CV conversion, LSD diff, brake & suspension upgrade etc.). No doubt I'll be asking for help on a few topics along the way. We're in Melbourne, which seems like a good place to be for parts and advice.

I found my old trolley jack in the boot with a sticker from the 1990 Australian Hillclimb Championships at Collingrove in South Australia. That brings back memories. Can't wait to get going again.
athman
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:30 am

Welcome to the Club.
It won't be long before you're as insane as the rest of us.
Luckily for you, some of the most knowledgeable contributors live on the same Island as you :)

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 am

Not only do you have Rohan in the same city, but you live in Melbourne!

I hate you....driven by pure jealousy :D

Lived in Melbourne (Armadale) for a few years.....what am I doing here in -7 C?

Welcome back to Elan world! I'm sure you could teach US a thing or two about the cars!

Take care,
Peter

Note: the US above referes to 'us the forum members' and not the abbrevbiated name for a country....just in case there's any confusion.
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: athman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm getting right into it now, I filled out my membership application to the local lotus club tonight. Now its just a small matter of rebuilding the car. :shock:

Jim
athman
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:56 am

peterako wrote:Not only do you have Rohan in the same city, but you live in Melbourne!

I hate you....driven by pure jealousy :D

Lived in Melbourne (Armadale) for a few years.....what am I doing here in -7 C?

Welcome back to Elan world! I'm sure you could teach US a thing or two about the cars!

Take care,
Peter

Note: the US above referes to 'us the forum members' and not the abbrevbiated name for a country....just in case there's any confusion.

My mails do sometimes have hidden depth
:D :D :D

John
Last edited by GrUmPyBoDgEr on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:23 pm

It's ok John....I don't hate you yet :D

Hamster with a Pancake on it's head still has me in knots!

Happy New Year!

Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Ooops, I've now added a couple of smileys; maybe it reads differently now.
Wouldn't like to loose your friendship :wink:
Yes the Guinea Pig had me in fits when I first saw it in a similar context :D
Hrrm, I made the correction to "Hamster" to keep our Anna happy :)
Wo bleibst Du Anna?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Jim

Good to see another PLus 2 coming back on the road again.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:25 am

welcome ----recommend you practice some yoga in order to get into the required positions to get the car restored -- :) -ed
Attachments
ATT527749.jpg and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: athman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:53 am

Twincamman - The only yoga I know is the Lotus Position (sorry, bad pun).

Perhaps thats why I cunningly waited 14 years for the restoration. My son is now old enough to lift a spanner yet still small enough to get to places we adults can't. Impressionable teenagers would be a 'must have' mechanical accessory for any Lotus enthusiast, if it weren't for those pesky child labour laws.

Rohan. I saw your car race at Sandown a few years ago. I too have raced at Sandown, but only on a bicycle. I think your laps times would be a bit quicker than mine. I look forward to catching up some day.

Jim
athman
New-tral

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 pm

athman wrote:
I found my old trolley jack in the boot with a sticker from the 1990 Australian Hillclimb Championships at Collingrove in South Australia. That brings back memories. Can't wait to get going again.

I've never seen trolley jack racing; is this popular in Oz? I guess you have to find something to pass the time between counting sheep and drinking 'bong water. :twisted:

Welcome to the forum. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:41 am

elansprint71 wrote:
athman wrote:

I've never seen trolley jack racing; is this popular in Oz? I guess you have to find something to pass the time between counting sheep and drinking 'bong water. :twisted:

Welcome to the forum. :wink:

Pete,

I'm surprised that you're surprised; you living in the land of lawnmower racing :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Lawnmower racing ????can you do this in Morris dancing drag????-----gimme gimme gimme ---ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Ed,

Sorry, but you appear to have lost the Lawnmower / Morris Dancer plot.

Thing is, points are awarded for fastest time around the circuit, whilst towing the Morris Dancer behind the suitably modified lawnmower..

Some events even give bonus points if the Morris Dancer is still alive at the finish .......... some give even more points if a fatality has occurred !!!

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:13 pm

ahhhh Australian rules ---ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: