Elans & Metier (+2 Protoype) from Hethel 60th (and 40th)

PostPost by: niallf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:41 am

This is a link to a set of mostly Elan pics taken at the recent Lotus 60th anniversary. There are also pics from last year's Hethel 40th. The 60th ones are marked with a Hethel60th tag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14095101@N ... 138196150/

Cheers,

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:58 am

Excellent pics... I really enjoyed looking through those. Thanks for posting them for others to enjoy.

James :D
72 Sprint DHC
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:07 am

Great pics Niall.
The Metier really does look like a stretched Elan-the bonnet and bumper come to mind -however it doesn't really work for me.
Interesting how the name is on the boot-instead of "lotus"
The +2 really is a better looking car and deserved a name of its own-a pity.
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:10 am

I particularly like the Lotus Cortina pics, Niall...very David Bailey :D

I think that the Plus 2 has the right name, Nigel. It has the same engine, gearbox, diff, rear uprights, front uprights, steering, brakes (mainly), headlamp vacuum system and radiator, with the early cars having much the same seats, instruments and switchgear. The chassis is the same with the Plus 2 spine being a few inches longer...all the rest is identical.

It really is an Elan...and a bit more :D

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:39 am

I agree that Elan +2 was a good name and better than the original names of Elite, Elite II, Elite 2 or Elite +2 which were considered

The restored Metier looks like it has been done well I understand that it was found in a carpark near wimbledon in a bad state, Its fortunate that it has been saved and brought back to life

As far as names go I wonder where the Metier name came from and it doesn't begin with e as all lotus models do
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi Niall,

I love your green elan plus two. Looks great! could you tell me the paint code??
Nice contrast with the charcoal wheels!!
cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi Robin,

It's Pistachio Green, not sure what the original Lotus code was. Info from the factory tells me this was the car's original colour, though my car was re-sprayed about 10 years ago. The roof is a very nice metalflake finish, again done as part of the respray.

It was built as a +2S, then when re-sprayed converted to a +2S130 (new BV engine). It's now a full Spyder Zetec converted car, hence the wheels are Minilite Sport 14".

Niall.
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: