Octane Magazine

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 am

Hi Everyone

Any one out there seen the latest issue of Octane Magazine. Notice how the Plus 2 was very conspicuous by it's absence.

It's hardly surprising the Plus 2s are so underrated when they are ignored in this way, I'll bet many non-Lotus people (and journalists) have forgotten they even exist. Perhaps the worst thing for the cars was that they were called Elans. Maybe if they had been given a different name they would now be getting the recognition they deserve as true GTs, rather than just being considered as a footnote to the 2 seater sports car

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 am

andyelan wrote:Perhaps the worst thing for the cars was that they were called Elans. Maybe if they had been given a different name they would now be getting the recognition they deserve as true GTs, rather than just being considered as a footnote to the 2 seater sports car

Andy

Excellent point Andy!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:46 pm

W H SMITH have just published one of their own exclusive editions, a large glossy mag in stiff covers entitled 'Classic British Sports Cars' at ?6.95.

Its a decent mag which praises the Elan highly and the writer suggests the +2 is even better. :D

The original Elite, Seven and Esprit also get write ups.

Buy it.

Mark.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:12 pm

Mark

" Its a decent mag which praises the Elan highly and the writer suggests the +2 is even better. "

They're right, it is better,but don't let those on the other "baby" forum know...... you know how easy upset they are.....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Mum's the word, John. :wink:

Mark.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:08 pm

john.p.clegg wrote: you know how easy upset they are.....

Upset! ..Naa!........the only time we get upset is when you guys with those big lumbering Limo's refer to our Sports Car's as "b..y Elans" :evil:

M.J.S wrote:Mum's the word

Yes you are right ....the +2 is a car for Mum's :lol: :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:33 am

OOOOps

John :oops:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 am

john.p.clegg wrote:Mark

" Its a decent mag which praises the Elan highly and the writer suggests the +2 is even better. "

They're right, it is better,but don't let those on the other "baby" forum know...... you know how easy upset they are.....

... Better has never been the word ; easier is .
In so many points ...
Christian (not really upset :twisted: ).
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Christian

"Easier"?.. Please explain..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:08 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Christian

"Easier"?.. Please explain..

When thinking to buy an Elan , I found "easier" to search after a +2 rather than after a baby because of the asking price ...
I found "easily" a lot of them compared to babies ...
My first test drive in an Elan was on track at Croix-en-Ternois ... A baby S2 in racing guise ... Years later , the +2's I drove when looking arround were "easier" to drive ... A lot .
After , having "OEW" in the garage , I am able to see how "difficult" are acces , travelling with bagages ... etc
But , if I choose a baby it's because you first have deserve it in every of its aspects , that after having been catch by its design and road qualities . And often cope with its defects before reach its best . I hope you understand despite my poor english ...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:08 pm

andyelan wrote:Any one out there seen the latest issue of Octane Magazine. Notice how the Plus 2 was very conspicuous by it's absence.

Not as conspiculous as the new Europa :wink:

Though to be fair, it's hardly an exhaustive line-up.

They missed the Eclat/Excel, 2nd generation Esprit, 2nd generation Elise, Exige, 340R and 2-eleven, as well. It seems they were only trying to show one representative of each generation/family of Lotus Road cars, in which case the omission of the Plus 2 is (more) excusable.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Christian

Compris

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:45 pm

I thought that it was a pretty poor feature; apart from the missing cars the ones they did cover were done so very sketchily and with the usual lack of expert knowledge. Nothing new whatsoever. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: