Clock illumination inverse

PostPost by: Uboat » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:45 am

I was very happy with myself when I managed to change intrument bulb for the engine temperature gauge. I had some overheating problems before, and I now don't have to use the light from my mobile phone in order to check motor temperature while driving in the dark. (1974 Elan +2 130)

I also changed the clock bulb, but I found out that there is a gremlin in the wiring. The clock is now illuminated when lights are off, independent of the panel illumination switch, and turns dark when I switch on the panel illumination. Is this a standard feature, or is it an alternative wiring? The clock is of a german make, Hientze or something like that, is it the original clock (it does not work)

How do I get the clock light to work in correlation with the other instrument illumination/the panel switch? Can this have something to do with clock failure?

/Ulf
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:03 am

Sounds to me like you have an earth problem...not unknown...try a temporary direct earth to the clock lamp earth terminal.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:51 am

Hi i have the same make of clock as you,i recently had it repaired and has worked well since.Not sure if its original,but i do know a lot of our cars have them in.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Probably no need for the illumination if it doesn't work... :lol:
Mine doesn't work either (or should that be 'ether'? :wink: ), but the illumination does... :?
I remember reading that it is worth taking apart & cleaning (how complicated can it be? - famous last words... :oops: )before sending it off for professional repair, but I have yet to try myself.

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:44 pm

I took mine apart,lots of bits in there...the guy that fixed it charged 10 pounds,a small electrode had burnt out,which he says is common,caused by being fed too low a current,from a flatish battery...
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: