+2 For Sale on E-Bay

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Interesting original +2 for sale on e-bay. Item no. 280219980461. Apparently it has only had two owners, the first being Lotus Cars. 26000 miles only.

The registration plate is UVF 103H, which had me scurrying for my books. I thought it was familiar and I dug out UVF 101H, which was a drop head Elan road tested by Motor in 1969; as well as UVF 102H, which was a +2 road tested again by Motor in 1969.

So the possibility exists that the +2 for sale was also a factory demonstrator or press car. Who knows?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:18 pm

There can't be many unrestored Plus 2s left in this sort of condition. Don't you think that it would sit rather nicely with your Sprint, Tim?

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:55 pm

And at only ?11,200 it's bound to go soon......

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:25 am

Elanintheforest wrote:There can't be many unrestored Plus 2s left in this sort of condition. Don't you think that it would sit rather nicely with your Sprint, Tim?

Mark

Spluttering here, Mark!

First off, the Sprint is the best Elan, so why would I need a +2? (Short answers only please, on a postcard :twisted: )

Secondly, I would hope it would run, not sit!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 am

Given the inherent compromises made in the S4, continued with the Sprint, everybody knows that the S3 was the ultimate development of the 2 seat Elan 8)

But S3 or Sprint, it doesn?t stop you having a Plus 2 as well. Sitting and / or driving :roll:

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 am

Off course everyone needs a plus 2 to go with their Elan. Think of the savings in have a common set of spare parts for the 2 cars, also the savings in only have to learn how to rebuild one type of engine drive train or other mechanical componet plus just one set of special tools. :wink:

cheers
Rohan
Elan S4, Plus 2S 130/5, Esprit S1
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Now this is more like it,?2,000 and no reserve...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1968-Lotus-Elan-2 ... dZViewItem

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:38 pm

John,
It looks really good, especially with the new body, how I wish I'd done that for mine instead of countless hours of paint stripping, redoing earlier awful repairs and dealing with crazing.

The chassis comments are a bit odd, is it a new chassis or have they refurbished the existing one I wonder.

I like the colour too.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:54 pm

I like the colour of the blue one, it's an early car with the the door locks combined with the handles and an external boot lock.

Wish I had the space :cry:
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 pm

wonder what chassis/build number it is? must be into the 100s on an F plate?

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Missing the side reflectors - one of the challenges of a restoration: where does it all go?

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:17 am

side reflectors weren't fitted to uk models, Japan and the US got "federal spec" cars with reflectors, some other markets may also have had them, but not the uk domestic!
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:05 am

Hmm.. before posting I checked a period ad for the Plus2... which I assumed would be rather universal. Incorrect.

First of all, I didn't check very well because the car in the ad ("Elegance breeds elegance. 'You have obviously arrived in a Lotus'") was (a) missing the front reflector (b) had the rear reflector and (c) had no Plus2 on the (right-hand) camera side.. which, I think, was the passenger (badged) side (wipers are oriented to the right, sweeping left) thus a LH steering car?*.

And, that said, it was a US - no N. American - ad. Yet the car had an English license plate.

As someone said - "go figure".

Keith

*gosh - another decision / determination. The wiper mount points are symmetrically aligned. Which way is UK, which US?
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:22 am

kcrossle wrote:Hmm.. before posting I checked a period ad for the Plus2... which I assumed would be rather universal. Incorrect.

First of all, I didn't check very well because the car in the ad ("Elegance breeds elegance. 'You have obviously arrived in a Lotus'") was (a) missing the front reflector (b) had the rear reflector and (c) had no Plus2 on the (right-hand) camera side.. which, I think, was the passenger (badged) side (wipers are oriented to the right, sweeping left) thus a LH steering car?*.

And, that said, it was a US - no N. American - ad. Yet the car had an English license plate.

As someone said - "go figure".

Keith

*gosh - another decision / determination. The wiper mount points are symmetrically aligned. Which way is UK, which US?

I think its fair to say that when "our" cars were produced, the badges and some other bits n bobs were thrown at the car, if they stayed put long enough, they were fixed, if they fell off, they didn't get fitted!!

i seem to recall reading that it was not uncommon for the factory to convert completed cars from LHD to RHD and RHD to LHD in the yard to suit current orders/cope with cancelled orders, therefore it wouldn't suprise me to find a UK car with Federal spec reflectors, or a federal car with them missing!

Lotus's unique method of record keeping adds to our entertainment in trying to discover what actually came out of the factory!! I understand that there is a sizeable difference in the number registered cars to the number declared as being made on the tax returns/company accounts.....I'm pretty sure the tax man would have loved to have been able to prove this at the time!!

Mark
Last edited by tower of strength on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:27 am

tower of strength wrote:I think its fair to say that when "our" cars were produced, the badges and some other bits n bobs were thrown at the car, if they stayed put long enough, they were fixed, if they fell off, they didn't get fitted!!

Mark

Not that anything fell off later... :-)
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: