Outside Car covers

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi

Can anyone recomend a decent outside car cover whilst I look for a new Garage/ 3 Bed house?

The Auto-Pyjama Auto-Storm full cover - SS looks good but is ?119 + straps and locks adding ?18+?8 + postage. Is this really worth the money or is a better one out there cheaper?

Thanks

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Jason, I strongly recommend that you don?t use one at all. I?ve tried many different sorts, on metal cars, and no matter how ?breathable? or ventilated they are, they still trap condensation and even puddles of water as the condensation settles. That is a recipe for disaster for the paintwork of our cars.

If it was October, I?d suggest renting a garage. But at this time of year onwards, you won?t do any harm leaving the car outside. If it lets in water, take up the floor carpets and put in newspaper and change it frequently?the sun will soon dry it out.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 am

I ditto (archaic for agree with) Mark.
Whether they breathe or not, another negative for car covers is if it's windy and there's ANY grit or dirt on your car or car cover it'll scratch your paint like the devil as the wind buffets the cover. I've been there.
That said, if you have a clean car, a clean cover, and a carport or semi protected area, cloth car covers CAN protect your car from atmospheric damaging effects..
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:50 am

What about the inflatable car cover (car capsule is the name , I believe) in the outdoor configuration.

It remains inflated with a small fan and motor. I do not know how well it stands up to wind and the elements. If it stays inflated it should not contact the painted surface.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:50 am

What about the inflatable car cover (car capsule is the name , I believe) in the outdoor configuration.

It remains inflated with a small fan and motor. I do not know how well it stands up to wind and the elements. If it stays inflated it should not contact the painted surface.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Do not fit a cover it can cause micro blistering of the paint have used the indoor carcoon type these work well keep the car clean not so sure about the no condensation claim beware of the clear plastic type they harden & crack
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:20 am

After using covers on my +2 for the past two years I have only one thing to say -

Don't!

They have destroyed my paint.

For many of teh reasons above, but the worst are:

- Moisture retention
- Wind (abrasion)

Now I leave it uncovered and am building a garage!! But teh paint has not deteriorated since.

And I now have 99% of my water leaks fixed :D

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:55 am

Hi

OK I get it, thanks for the advice :)

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon1 » Thu May 05, 2022 7:44 pm

At the risk of resurrecting a very old thread - I have searched the forum for recent discussions on inflatable outdoor car covers. Carcoon are usually highly recommended but don't appear to make drive-in versions. I saw 'In the garage' make some but they are fairly expensive
https://inthegarage.com/products/
Does anyone have experience of these or have recommendations for drive-in inflatable / de humidifying outdoor storage ?
Many thanks
Simon
Elan plus 2
simon1
New-tral

Total Online: