New Aussie +2

PostPost by: aussieelan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:13 am

Hi Guys,

Posted late last year that I was looking ... and looking I have been.

Saturday I finalised a deal that will see me into this +2 :D

Late 67/ Early 68
Restoration just being completed - rebuilt everything
Rejigged and re-inforced chassis
Engine rebuilt by known engine builder - approx 160KMS on it
Full reco weber head with offset dowels
Isuzu 5 speed (original 4 speed supplied as spare)
Koni suspension
Nolothane bushes
New leather interior
Newly veneered dash - looks great
Electric pop up headlights

.. and lots of other stuff I can't remember.

Should be running this week sometime and I will take delivery in a couple of weeks after all the ancillaries are sorted.

The wheel in the foreground is from the set that comes with the car - 14" Simmons ... apparently quite rare.

The only things left to do on the vehicle will be the finishing and tidy up. Paint will need a buff, chrome polishing. some trim will need finishing (boot floor and back parcel tray), wiring will need a tidy etc. I know once I get it home I will have lots of questions, so thanks in advance.

And thanks also for the mountain of information contained in this forum that made the investigations that much easier.

Andrew
Attachments
In-the-shed.jpg and
aussieelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Andrew,

Looks like a good buy always assuming the price was right, where in Aus are you??

Tony W
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:19 pm

My car is very close to the color of this car. What is the color code and name of the color. Is it original to the car?

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: aussieelan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi Tony and Bob,

I am in Sydney, and as far as I know the car has been Sydney based for a long time. Its been off the road for over 10 years, so I suppose it qualifies as "new".

Not sure of the paint code - the ID plate is basically unreadable, xpt for the chassis number 50/0763. It has been resprayed, the current owner calls it BRG. Once I get it home I can possibly clean up the plate and extract a factory code.

I am very very happy with the deal done. I had to part with my concourse winning drop top Elan :cry: however with a bit of elbow grease the +2 has all the makings of another winning vehicle.
aussieelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:51 am

Andrew,

Nice looking car, I hope you can post some more pictures

I recall seeing a green plus 2 at the Australian day classic car show in Macquarie st about 5 years ago, in fact their were two plus 2's with one having been rescued from Singapore or Hong Kong at some stage maybe it is this car
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: inxs » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:04 am

Hi Andrew,

Looks good, great to see another +2 on the road in Australia as they are not common over here.

I have a early + 2 in Adelaide and just got on the road last week after a few years. Could I ask what you paid for it?

Hope to see the prices rising as they are in England.

Regards,
Darren
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Stuart+2 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:41 am

Hi Andrew

Congratulations - looks like a very nice car.

Great to see a +2 going back on the road in Australia - and Sydney to boot. I'm over in North Balgowlah if you'd like to touch base some time - my car is also an early +2 (September, 1968 - 50/1035).

As an aside - what are those tyres? I'm looking for something more sticky and they look special.

Best regards
Stuart - Sydney
1968 +2 50/1035
Stuart+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: aussieelan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:33 am

Hi Stuart,

As soon as I get it home we must meet up and go for a "leisurely drive" :wink: It will probably be a few weeks before I get everything sorted.

Currently it is wearing standard Elan rims with Advans. Very sticky, very soft and bloody expensive. The 14" rims and tyres that come with it rub on the inner guard (if you look close you can see the mark in the photo) and I am starting to investigate the options (look out for the post :D )

Look forward to catching up with you soon.

BTW .. if your interested the NSW Lotus Club has its monthly meeting tomorrow (Tuesday 11 March) night. Your more than welcome to come along and talk Lotus

Andrew
aussieelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Stuart+2 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:14 am

Hi Andrew

I'm in the club but time I attended a meeting and/or an event - can't make tonight but will try next one.

I'll keep an eye out for your +2 next time I'm in Neutral Bay enjoying the hairpin around Anderson Park!
Stuart - Sydney
1968 +2 50/1035
Stuart+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: djmoncado » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:41 am

Andrew
Nice car
I have to ask. It has an Isuzu 5 speed. Would you know from what? would you have other pictures of the car?

Dean
djmoncado
New-tral

PostPost by: aussieelan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:26 am

Hi Dean,

The gearbox is from a Holden Gemini. The Aussie version of GM's small sedan from the late 70's/80's that used Isuzu running gear. There are a number of posts on the forums that detail much more about the conversion than I know.

As soon as I get it home, I will post more photos than anyone will ever want to see :D . I'll make sure I crawl underneath to show the gearbox conversion as best I can.

Andrew
aussieelan
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: